wait and listen.....NAMM

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
museslave

Post by museslave » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:37 am

So, do you think this thing can be used as a stand-alone oscillator? That would be VERY cool... to have that effect, AND be able to use it as a stand-alone CV controllable oscillator.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:48 am

museslave wrote:So, do you think this thing can be used as a stand-alone oscillator? That would be VERY cool... to have that effect, AND be able to use it as a stand-alone CV controllable oscillator.
one can only speculate at this point.. until we see the back panel it's a little cloudy as to what its capable of. seeing how it has a mix knob though, i'd say that it's probably a resounding yes. i hope it scales @ ~1v/oct. :D
www.ctrlshft.com

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:51 am

OysterRock wrote:No pitch-to-CV on the 107.

Hmmmmmm....I wonder what the 106 is... :)

Interesting....

So maybe this one, the 107, is "Oscillator 2" with Sync, Frequency Modulation, and PWM (waveshape).

So then we've yet to see "Oscillator 1", which might give us an Octave switch, multiple waveforms, and Pitch Tracking!!

When I was thinking about how Moog would solve the problem of a Moogerfooger oscillator, I always thought it would be difficult to get a fully featured VCO (including osc sync, which requires 2 oscillators) with P/V all in one Mooger sized enclosure.

So, maybe they just split it up into two.

I

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:00 am

museslave wrote:So, do you think this thing can be used as a stand-alone oscillator? That would be VERY cool... to have that effect, AND be able to use it as a stand-alone CV controllable oscillator.

Isn't Frequency Modulation(FM) the same thing as CV in? I bet it will have a seperate Volt/Octave CV in also (and sync in, waveshape in, etc.). In the picture, it looks like there are about 9 or 10 jacks.

For pure osc signal you could just set the mix knob to 100% Oscillator.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:12 am

so who wants to take a stab at what jacks are on this thing?

my 2 cents:

| audio in | freq in | env in | mix in | fm in |
| audio out | freq out | env out | wave in |
www.ctrlshft.com

museslave

Post by museslave » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:25 pm

eric coleridge wrote:Isn't Frequency Modulation(FM) the same thing as CV in? I bet it will have a seperate Volt/Octave CV in also (and sync in, waveshape in, etc.). In the picture, it looks like there are about 9 or 10 jacks.

For pure osc signal you could just set the mix knob to 100% Oscillator.
Okay, if that's true... I am going to be VERY excited about this, and likely buy one (which is something I really haven't said about modern Moog stuff!" To have a standalone oscillator AND something that is capable of that effect... wow, that would be a VERY cool product that I would be delighted to have and use!
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:52 pm

| audio in | freq in | env in | mix in | fm in |
| audio out | freq out | env out | wave in |

That looks like a pretty good guess to me.

I hope this can be used as a stand-alone osc that tracks 1V/oct, but I don't think so. The teaser audio doesn't have an example of a simple oscillator tone.

Also, the philosophy for the Moogers has been - audio in, processed audio out - a plug and play approach. A stand-alone osc without a P to V converter isn't playable without other CV sources.

Looks like everyone guessed some aspect of the new one correctly, except for the number 107!

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:22 pm

All we need now is a full featured envelope generator and you could build yourself a nice little Moog modular. Hook up a keyboard and your set! :D

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:51 pm

museslave wrote: To have a standalone oscillator AND something that is capable of that effect... wow, that would be a VERY cool product that I would be delighted to have and use!
All the other applicable Moogers (101, 102) are volt/octave CV controllable, so it would be a little bizarre if their VCO Mooger wasn't. Now that there's a VCO, there's not much to disguish them from a Modular synth.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:01 pm

We're all just guessing to a certain extent, but fwiw, VCOs in modulars are usually temperature stabilized or compensated.
They're precision circuits.
Putting VCOs in several separate boxes with separate power supplies often spells disaster when expecting them to track closely together.
Power stability, temperature and grounding play major roles in something like that.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what's actually in the box.
I'd guess a PLL circuit and VCO, but have no real clue.
I'm pretty certain that once the box is more well known, others will try copying it or duping it on their modulars (if possible at all.)

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:06 pm

Wonder if there may also be a new and expanded CD251 style MoogerFooger and possibly an arpegiator/sequencer ? The demo in a lot of ways sounds like something you could create with the Korg Electribes or Roland MC’s. Yes they are digital based but something along that line. Then again could be a few other things none of us have thought of yet… part of the fun

Brian

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:50 am

Kevin Lightner wrote:We're all just guessing to a certain extent, but fwiw, VCOs in modulars are usually temperature stabilized or compensated.
They're precision circuits.
Putting VCOs in several separate boxes with separate power supplies often spells disaster when expecting them to track closely together.
Power stability, temperature and grounding play major roles in something like that.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what's actually in the box.
I'd guess a PLL circuit and VCO, but have no real clue.
I'm pretty certain that once the box is more well known, others will try copying it or duping it on their modulars (if possible at all.)
Whats a PLL circuit?

What about this VCO is so different than average that would make others want to copy it? Just it's stability?

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:54 am

Brian G wrote:Wonder if there may also be a new and expanded CD251 style MoogerFooger and possibly an arpegiator/sequencer ? The demo in a lot of ways sounds like something you could create with the Korg Electribes or Roland MC’s. Yes they are digital based but something along that line. Then again could be a few other things none of us have thought of yet… part of the fun

Brian
Yeah, after listening to the track, I thought that it was going to be a sequencer/VCO. Maybe now that there's a VCO they can make some kind of function generator that will work as a sequencer or envelope.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:00 pm

eric coleridge wrote:Whats a PLL circuit?
See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-locked_loop

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:36 pm

env out back through fm amount in would be cool!

i can imagine hooking six of these up to a keyoard would give you a very crazy, analog and evil reincarnation of the dx7!

who do you think designed it?

Steve or Cyril?

maybe they each designed one, 107 and 106

that would be so cool, if the pedals were designed to work with eachother but by different people