WARNING! do not read private messages from "Aneleefashe

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
mee3d

WARNING! do not read private messages from "Aneleefashe

Post by mee3d » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:53 am

"Aneleefashem06" is sending members of this forum private messages which, if read are installing a trojan which installs the "Antivermins.exe" spyware application onto your PC and then fools you into thinking you have a virus ... you haven't but it's a long winded process to remove the spyware.

I took a look at the members list and there are thousands of faux members ... is this forum no longer being administered? Shouldn't 200 of the same member name with 0 posts be deleted?

Please be warned.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

martin

Post by martin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:40 am

i remember loads of new 'members' appearing when there was this moog contest voting thingy was on.

thanks for the warning.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:35 am

i remember loads of new 'members' appearing when there was this moog contest voting thingy was on
No, these accounts are created by something automatic... so you get 200x "jim90812xxx" where the 'xxx' is consecutive numbers. Someone at moog should be doing some house cleaning as there's clearly not 13K members!

Mal
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:06 am

Many thanks for the warning.

I've just received two notifications of private messages, but there are no new messages there, so it looks like someone's cleaning things up.

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:02 pm

I recieved this bull too.
Problem was, i clicked directly onto the linke in the mail, wwhich told me i recieved i privat msg on this forum. this link put me directly to my personal mail forum folder and i opened the msg. i saw a smal pic and a link. i deleted the msg and wanted write something about it here in the forum, but noww i am reading this.
Does this mean that i do have noww this spyware? how does this work if i only read a msg....?

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:17 pm

You would know if you had contracted it...

I did the same but about 5 minutes after I came back to my PC to find a systen alert stating that I had "malware" (funny for me as that is my name) and then 'antivermins' loaded telling me I had some spyware and that I would have to upgrade the software to eliminate it.

After reading on the internet (from my viri free Mac!) about this it's a known Russion con-trick. Antivermins.exe is loaded onto your PC via a trojan disguised as an mp3/jpeg/wmv etc, then it launches a fake system alert.

It's missed by antivirus software as there is no virus, just some adware/malware spyware.

I'm trying to get it off my PC now but it keeps loading back into RAM and re-adjusting my Registry when I reboot, even though I have tried 3 spyware removal applications.

Nasty bugger!

Mal

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:32 pm

just want to say that the mail i recieved which told me me that i recieved this msg, came directly from "jared AT moogmusic.com", so i was jeauloes what's up....

thewaag

Re: WARNING! do not read private messages from "Aneleef

Post by thewaag » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:05 pm

mee3d wrote:"Aneleefashem06" is sending members of this forum private messages which, if read are installing a trojan which installs the "Antivermins.exe" spyware application onto your PC and then fools you into thinking you have a virus ...Please be warned.

Mal
Thanks for the warning Mal. You did the forum a great service here. I too received a private message notice from Jared today, but there was nothing in my box. This kind of cleared it up. Funny thing was....I was actually expecting a message from Jared today, so I was very confused.

Now I can go about worring about other things......
Thanks Bob!!

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:55 pm

No Problem... funny thing is... I'm never on my PC (for this very reason), If I was on my mac I wouldn't have had this problem! It took 3 different applications about 10 goes to finally get rid of all the relevant files.... as a big time Mac user it makes me smile.

Mal

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm

I got the email about having a message, but there was no message.. am I still @ risk?

Thanks for the heads up ..

- Nick
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:46 pm

I got one of these, and also found I had no new messages. I didn't think any more of it and as I am a Mac user, have had no problems.

Thank heavens!
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

cosmigonical

Post by cosmigonical » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:24 pm

Nick Montoya wrote:I got the email about having a message, but there was no message.. am I still @ risk?

Thanks for the heads up ..

- Nick
I looked at the message, it had no attachments and no funny links (like you might get on a phising message) so there should be no danger. These emails are easily faked, which is why it is good idea to have some form of authentication.

minime123

Post by minime123 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:47 pm

i didnt have a PM either - i think the folks at moog must have discovered this before we checked our PMs and deleted them.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER who's never stepped foot in the state of Michigan.

Moog Spaceport

Post by Moog Spaceport » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:35 pm

It's a clever ploy to get us to post...

It worked! :lol:

minime123

Post by minime123 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:33 am

thats what i was thinking! ha!
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER who's never stepped foot in the state of Michigan.