The end of Squarewave? ...the beginning of MoogSpace?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Will you be signing up for Moogspace?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:14 pm

joshbdork wrote:i'm a poor college kid who manages to spend about 13$ every 2 weeks on food. 2 weeks of food is not worth it to me, sorry.
I've been in that situation, too. And even when I first posted to this forum I was working longer and longer hours for less and less money. That situation changed. Yours will as well, hopefully. You're just the kind of person Moog needs to keep visiting their forums - someone with a strong enough interest to be here and keeping old Moog synths alive. Chances are you'd be a prospective buyer for new Moog products in the future.
Moog need to keep future buyers interested, not deflect them off to someone else's discussion forums.

dizz

Post by dizz » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi Monads,

FYI - SquareWave (and the companion site Phatsound) will be going away. Since MoogSpace encompasses all the features and capabilities of these sites (and a lot more), there's no need to continue them further.

- Greg[/quote]

Greg,
I'm getting frustrated with MoogSpace. I signed up yesterday and even downloaded the members tour pdf. The site was acting strangely, and didn't list me as a member. Now I can't login and have sent a few messages to Moog/Zimm with no response. I'll be paying eventually, If I can use the site!,,,,can you help me?

thanks,

dizz

dizz

Post by dizz » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:03 pm

GregAE wrote:
FYI - SquareWave (and the companion site Phatsound) will be going away. Since MoogSpace encompasses all the features and capabilities of these sites (and a lot more), there's no need to continue them further.

- Greg
I messed up the quote thing before.

Greg,
I'm getting frustrated with MoogSpace. I signed up yesterday and even downloaded the members tour pdf. The site was acting strangely, and didn't list me as a member. Now I can't login and have sent a few messages to Moog/Zimm with no response. I'll be paying eventually, If I can use the site!,,,,can you help me?

thanks,

dizz

joshbdork

Post by joshbdork » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:18 pm

Sweep wrote:
joshbdork wrote:i'm a poor college kid who manages to spend about 13$ every 2 weeks on food. 2 weeks of food is not worth it to me, sorry.
I've been in that situation, too. And even when I first posted to this forum I was working longer and longer hours for less and less money. That situation changed. Yours will as well, hopefully. You're just the kind of person Moog needs to keep visiting their forums - someone with a strong enough interest to be here and keeping old Moog synths alive. Chances are you'd be a prospective buyer for new Moog products in the future.
Moog need to keep future buyers interested, not deflect them off to someone else's discussion forums.
Yeah currently I only own a few vintage pieces that I have fixed up and frankly I dont want to sell them to gain access to the new site for a few years. If you really have to pay to access the forums I will be very bummed out.

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:21 pm

For what it's worth..There have been only 4 posts on the Phat Sound boards in the past 2 months... Almost 2 weeks since anyone posted on Square Wave..both of those boards are free...how will charging $$ increase the interest?
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:10 am

dizz wrote:
GregAE wrote:

- Greg
I messed up the quote thing before.

Greg,

thanks,

dizz
I'll see what I can do to help (I'm not the webmaster). A few people have reported issues with the site - I'm certain all will be worked out soon.

FWIW, every new endevour is going to have some problems early on. It happened with SquareWave when I started it up, but one-by-one I got it sorted out. Hang in there, it will get better.

- Greg

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:56 am

Some random thoughts on this thread

"MoogSpace should be free - I already paid over two grand for my Voyager".

Clueless. You paid your money and you got a great instrument. Now you expect more for nothing? Web hosting costs money, web development costs money, and content creation cost money. Thirteen bucks a year ain't so bad for unlimited space to upload your patches, demos and songs, plus everything else that MoogSpace offers (I'll bet you're paying more than $13 bucks A MONTH just for your internet connection).

"We've got all the services we need for free right now".

Yeah? Well SquareWave and Phatsound are going away (according to GregAE), this forum will probably merge with the MoogSpace forum (Moog doesn't need two), Ask Amos isn't on this forum (although he does pop up here from time to time), and as far as using this forum to 'link' all the free services, no thanks. I'd rather have everything in one place instead of scattered all over the web, and MoogSpace seems to offer that.

"There have been only 4 posts on the Phat Sound boards in the past 2 months... Almost 2 weeks since anyone posted on SquareWave"

Really? Here's an idea: Why not post something yourself? Ever contributed anything to those sites? Patches, info, tips? I seems that most people can't be bothered ("I just don't have the time..."), yet they'll spend hours and hours posting messages to forums like this whining and complaining.

"SquareWave and Phatsound are free, how will charging increase the interest?"

Because those sites are limited in what they offer. Yahoo Groups only allows 20M of storage, and their web template is very restrictive, IMO. MoogSpace doesn't have those restrictions, so they can offer a better solution - more storage, more features, more and better content. A few new members have already posted demo songs on MoogSpace - that kind of thing wouldn't be allowed on a site like SquareWave because there just isn't the storage space available.

All this commotion over $13 a year? Geez people, get a grip.

- MF

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:26 am

dizz wrote: Greg,

thanks,

dizz
Hi Dizz,

I got in touch with the webmaster and was told that he has replied to your queries, but there appears to be somthing wrong with your email. Somehow, you're not getting his responses.

He told me to tell you that you need to re-register on MoogSpace, and this should take care of the issue.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:30 am

Modularfan: You totally missed the main point, the unlikelihood of anyone with a general interest signing up to a site for instruments they haven't bought yet - thus making them less likely to invest in a comparatively expensive instrument.

Yes, a website costs money, but it's cheap advertising when you consider the difference between the likelihood of someone spending two grand on a synth because they saw an advert, and someone spending two grand because they've talked with a lot of satisfied musicians who aren't employed by Moog who say the two grand was worth it.

Also, no-one has responded to this point: "Actually there's another point. When you subscribe they don't just ask for your money, the also ask for your home address details. I don't at all mind Moog having that information, but I really don't like the idea of supplying it for an online service and thus making it available to anyone who hacks the Moog site. When people realise there's a list of the home addresses of loads of people with expensive Moog gear you can bet there are going to be some serious attempts at hacking."

If you think I'm just being paranoid - well, I hope you're right, but Internet crime is increasing rapidly, and there are definitely criminals out there who know the value of synths.

monads

Post by monads » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:46 am

Modularfan wrote:
All this commotion over $13 a year? Geez people, get a grip.

- MF
The problem is the expectation was already set from the beginning on getting these forum services for free. We've gotten spoiled should I say? And I think peeps really just have other subscription fees and don't want to add another, not matter how small (and that is an introductory offer). It all starts to add up. If anything offering these services for free increases product sales. People start to talk "Moog Voyager is the best analog dude, plus they have a great user forum base service thats free." Tell me I have to pay for the forum and I wont be to enthused.

Plus now we'll start to see a segration of users. And I can tell you for sure that a user forum offered for free vs. a paying one users will congregate to the free one with posts garnishing more responses.

Got space? Yea I got space right here on this forum for all I need :wink:

p.s. thanks for that update Greg about square & fat going away.

dizz

Post by dizz » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:07 pm

GregAE wrote:
Hi Dizz,

I got in touch with the webmaster and was told that he has replied to your queries, but there appears to be somthing wrong with your email. Somehow, you're not getting his responses.

He told me to tell you that you need to re-register on MoogSpace, and this should take care of the issue.

Hope this helps,

Greg
Greg,

Thanks so much for your help. I didn't realize that particular email account wasn't working (such an idiot!). Thanks for your earlier reply as well. I'm sure the site will be great as it progresses. I'll try to re-register now.

regards,

dizz

ARP

Post by ARP » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:39 pm

You paid your money and you got a great instrument. Now you expect more for nothing?
I never expected or received anything for free from moog (except the neat sticker for filling out the product registration card) Upgrades…fixes..mods…paid for em all.
Yeah..13 bucks isn’t a big deal when you consider the thousands of dollars already spent on moog products. I don’t expect anything for free from moog ...but a little..customer appreciation would go a long way...if people want to pay to have their patches posted etc.to another site fine let them pay..but to move this forum into Moog $pace would be a shame

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:11 pm

Moog has always been a company that listens to their customers and fan base. If you have an idea of what you think is best for this transition, instead of complaining I suggest you constructivly let them know your thoughts. They do listen, you might be surprised.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Simple, surely?

1) Have a paying site for those who want space for patches, but with an open forum for anybody interested in Moog instruments.

2) Don't ask for sensitive information like home addresses from people registering on the website, or at least provide an assurance that any such information will be securely kept offline.

ARP

Post by ARP » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:55 pm

I hope the good folks at moog are listening (or reading) and are not as thin skinned as some of the members. The desent that has been raised here is not meant to be mean spirited or viscious. I believe it is constructive to voice a different opinion. The schism is already starting some people don't want the patches they posted for free..being put up for sale., so to speak...I believe that moog $pace will have more to offer, unfortunately it will be a small, less active community than it could be. The folks at moog have a great reputation for doing the right thing, thats why they stand above the rest. I'm confident they can make this work out, and don't need me to tell them how, but i'd be willing to offer if their interested :wink: