LP vs Source WITH samples!

Everything Phatty.
goldphinga

LP vs Source WITH samples!

Post by goldphinga » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Alrighteee....

I set about recreating my favourite sounds ive created and stored on the source over the last few years on the LP tonight and was able to completely nail the sounds.

You would be very hard pushed to tell which was which with a blindfold on, it really is that close. Ill post examples in the next couple of days to prove what im saying.

The only small things that i couldnt do on the lp that i can on the source are:

1. send the mod wheel to filter and pitch mod at the same time
2. enable sweeping sync on a dual sine wave patch for some reason, (though the lp can do great sweeping sync like the source using more harmonically rich waves ...im trying to work out why it cant do it while the source can).

Note: It took a bit of time to do as the envelopes and filter values on the source dont correspond to the LP, and also it took a while to find where the sources sawtooth triangle and pulse waves are on the continiously variable lp waveshaper dial. Anyone doubting whether the lp sounds as good as the source has no need to worry: it does.
Last edited by goldphinga on Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:35 am

Ive made the sound clips of the lp and source, anyone know where i can host them so i can put them on here?

Cheers

Dan

p.s. the files are very small. 40 secs long each.
Last edited by goldphinga on Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

cool_blue

Post by cool_blue » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:49 am

goldphinga wrote:Ive made the sound clips of the lp and source, anyone know where i can host them so i can put them on here?

Cheers

Dan

p.s. the files are very small. 40 secs long each.
Hey Dan,
You can use a free online file hostin g service like this one:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/
or mac.com
or search free file hositng on google.

look forward to your snippets. I hear our LP's are a couple weekes away.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:40 am

bump!
Last edited by goldphinga on Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:47 am

Ok here they are, they are roughly played(sorry it was v late!) but notice how similar they are! Its very hard to tell the difference. The first synth is always the source followed by a few secs gap, then the second synth which is always the LP. Hope these are of use!

PS. They have been matched exactly decibel wise so are very accurate comparisons.

FILE 1
http://www.mysharefile.com/v/6212608/01 ... a.html[url]

FILE 2
http://www.mysharefile.com/v/727250/02_ ... a.html[url]

FILE 3
http://www.mysharefile.com/v/3176703/03 ... 3.m4a.html

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:52 pm

Wow, sounds great. I definitely could not tell them apart blindfolded.

I listened to them on headphones and the slight difference I noticed was the the LP tended to have more high frequency content than the source. It sounded slightly more aggressive. Maybe the filter overdrive at work?

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Hey OysterRock! Hope you are well.

its freaky how similar they are, the LP can sound so similar to the source that i forgot which one was which at one point in the recording process!

Ive recreated all the patches i have in my source on the LP and now have a reliable and brand new synth to take on gigs and the source can finally retire.

8)

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:21 am

goldphinga,

yonks ago I remember you saying that the voyager couldn't quite nail the source. So does this mean that the LP sounds different to the voyager? I was under the impression that they had the same 'engine'...

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:44 am

Afaik, they use the same oscs and they do sound very similar (LP and Voyager) with only 2 oscs on. The overload on the LP is the key tho, as the main diff between the voyager and the old moogs like the source is that the mixer/filter distortion is very polite on the voyager, almost inaudible.

The overload on the lp allows it to simulate the natural overload of the mixer and filter like the source and minimoog which in turn means it gets closer to the old moogs than the voyager. Not to say the voyager cant, it just takes more work to get there.

Like ive said before the only thing the LP and Voyager dont have that the source and mini do is the real sizzle in the very high tops. This is down to the oscs and not the filter. The oscs are not quite as bright on the new moogs. I dont know why but thats the case. I noticed it when i first got my voyager and the lp has the same oscs.

The LP is without a doubt the natural succesor to the source. If you add only a couple of lights on the overload control you get beautiful low key harmonic distortion.

Check the samples, the difference is very subtle.
If you want the best of moogs old and new the LP cant be beaten imo.

subby33

Re: LP vs Source WITH samples!

Post by subby33 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:34 am

Hi all.

I know this is an old post, but I'd really like to hear these samples. I'm trying to decide between a Little Phatty and a Moog source. I'm going to be using it as a dedicated bass synthesizer. Any help appreciated.

derekmather

Post by derekmather » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:02 pm

On my Little Phatty you can Modulate 2 destinations at a time... mines a Stage 1... Can the Tribute edition not Mod two destinations? I know the Stage 2 can.
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:06 am

Some of the posts in this thread are a couple of years old. They were made before a 2nd mod destination was selectable.

derekmather

Post by derekmather » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:35 am

ohhhhhh. Thanks for clearing that up.
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:32 am

Hey everyone. Had a few requests for the samples to be re-uploaded and i found them lurking in my vault.

Heres the link, its valid for 7 days so be quick!!

https://download.yousendit.com/YWhQaUNFQXBlaFR2Wmc9PQ

Cheers

NOTE: The first clip in each sound file is always the source, followed by the lp.

_DemonDan_

Re:

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:30 pm

goldphinga wrote:The first synth is always the Source followed by a few
secs gap, then the second synth which is always the LP.
Hi goldphinga,

Interesting comparison. Thanks! One tiny, picky point though...

Since the files don't come with documentation, you might want
to rename them "source v lp clip" instead of "lp v source clip".

Otherwise many people will naturally assume that the first
instance is "lp" and the second is "source".
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _