An MG-1 plea...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
museslave

An MG-1 plea...

Post by museslave » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:11 am

I'm impatient.
You know, every other time that I'm looking to buy a synth on eBay that ISN'T an MG-1, I get irritated with how many of them there are. You can't swing a stick without hitting an MG-1 on eBay.
For the first time, I am interested in buying one, as its diminutive size and functionality (well, and the fact that it has a Moog filter, of course!) would serve me very well for a gig I have in England in December. (I basically need a synth that will fit in my suitcase!)
But of COURSE, I fall victim to my own personal eBay curse. Whenever I have a specific analog synth in mind to purchase, all synths of that type on eBay will be guaranteed to:
1. Suddenly leap up in price, no matter what the average selling price has been for the month before. (in this case, they were averaging around $350 [two years ago, you could get one for $200 easily! arrrggghh], and the first one I bid on went for FAR more than that. Of course, it was nice and had been cleaned of gunk but still).
2. Suddenly become scarce or even rare.

Where are all of the MG-1s?

Anyway. If you have an MG-1 that is in good condition (doesn't need to be perfect, just needs not to be beat up or missing knobs/sliders, etc... unless for lower price) and fully functional... and if you're a good packer... I'll gladly buy it from you for $400 plus shipping. (eBay feedback and a note from your mom would be helpful, too)

[email protected]

Thanks!
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:08 pm

Awww, the fates heard me!
Someone posted an MG-1 right after I posted this. See? You have to act quickly if you want my dough. ; )

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:07 pm

i too have that same curse.
it seems like just as i decide to start shopping for a particular piece of gear, everyone and their dog decides they also want it.

making the ebay auctions go way over what they're worth, and/or making them virtually impossible to find.

phew! i'm relieved to know i'm not the only one.
Prodigy336A ::: Opus 3 ::: Big Briar Theremin ::: MF-102 ::: MF-105 ::: CP-251 ::: MPC1000

museslave

Post by museslave » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:15 am

I keep swearing I am going to document the effect! I swear it exists!
Before I decide I want a particular keyboard, I will study what it has done in the last month and compare that to the experience of that keyboard I have had while I'm looking for other keyboards on eBay, then, and ONLY then, I will decide to buy one... and IMMEDIATELY the prices on that keyboard will exceed what they have been, and after those that have gone for high prices are gone, none will be listed.
It's totally maddening!
But, at least, this time the curse was broken.
With my luck, the thing will probably arrive with a bullet hole in it. ; )

But thanks, Keith... I'm both happy and sad to know that you've had the same horrible experience!