arp odyssey + prophet 5 for $400...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:28 pm

museslave wrote: Ever the semantics freak, I have to say:
I might agree that the semi-modular part is lacking in comparison to modular, but as a semi-modular, I didn't find it really lacking at all. The MS-20 has great functionality without the patchbay, but with it... it measures up to ANY non-patchbay analog, and exceeds most! Does that mean it has everything I wish it did? Well, no... but still... pretty danged powerful!
You're right; it's just that there are so many glaring omisions on the patch bay which I just don't understand why Korg had to leave off the MS20.

I really want to, and eventually will modify my MS20 to include oscillator outputs, ENV2 normal output, and PWM input. I know these can be done fairly easily. I think as long as I'm drilling some holes, I'll put a mult on somewhere as well.

If I knew a little more about electronics, I'd love to find a way to add an input to the ring modulator, seperate CV inputs for OSC 1 and 2, and some others.

Have you ever seen this MS10 re-design blog:

http://ms10rebuild.blogspot.com/

I really love what this guy did to his MS.

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:55 pm

museslave wrote:My Sonic Six was somewhat unstable... in the sense that it did have to be tuned once it was turned on, and perhaps later if it was used for a long time.
But let's keep some perspective here: "Unstable" really truly means that you have to tune it a lot... like the Moog modulars, where you had to tune between takes. Yes, even I would be irritated by that. A synthesizer that requires tuning at some point is merely an analog synthesizer. An analog synthesizer that rarely requires tuning is... well, likely a late seventies Korg. ; )
Every single one of my synths has been at least to some degree "unstable" in comparison to the late-seventies Korgs I have had or have.
right, when i say unstable, i mean i can't play a 4 minute song without it going out of tune.
the model D, AND rogue both had this problem. the prodigy is better, i can go almost 3 or 4 songs without tuning it.
Prodigy336A ::: Opus 3 ::: Big Briar Theremin ::: MF-102 ::: MF-105 ::: CP-251 ::: MPC1000

museslave

Post by museslave » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Keith collins wrote:right, when i say unstable, i mean i can't play a 4 minute song without it going out of tune.
the model D, AND rogue both had this problem. the prodigy is better, i can go almost 3 or 4 songs without tuning it.
Yes, that is definitely unstable.
My Mini is more like your Prodigy than your Mini... but as far as I'm concerned, the thing could go out of tune every few minutes and I'd gladly just tune it. It gets special treatment for sounding so great. : )
Also, while the oscillators on my Mini drift... ONE of them is usually in tune at any given point... which I think is pretty bizarre but helpful. : )
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:52 am

actually, yeah, on every moog i've had with more than one oscillator, it's always the 2nd one that drifts.
Prodigy336A ::: Opus 3 ::: Big Briar Theremin ::: MF-102 ::: MF-105 ::: CP-251 ::: MPC1000

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:08 am

How does that 2nd osc tuning problem work out with your Opus 3, Keith? ; )
Hee. Just being an ass, sorry. ; )
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic