Voyager aftertouch fix

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
MC

Post by MC » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:20 pm

mee3d wrote:nice nail job!
But those aren't fingernails...

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:48 pm

unless you are a jazz player with little stumpy fingers! ;-)
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:40 pm

Eek!

£155 from Turnkey in the UK.

Maybe Moog would ship a kit over here directly?

Also - blue backlit wheels upgrade is $99 as opposed to $185. Wouldn't the standard blue backlit wheels have the right circuitry anyhow since they'd be of the right vintage (if they come with the circuit board that is)!?
Voyager Performer, Minitaur
Cubase 8.5, Ableton 9, various hardware sequencers
OSX El Capitan on MacPro (cylinder) and MacBookPro.

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:29 am

trying again :)
suthnear wrote:Does the aftertouch fix affect MIDI aftertouch as well? Is it now possible to send MIDI aftertouch data somewhere between completely on and completely off?

tx

RL

Post by RL » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:03 am

Does the aftertouch fix affect MIDI aftertouch as well? Is it now possible to send MIDI aftertouch data somewhere between completely on and completely off?
I should think so...
Have fun,
Rudi

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:23 am

excellent, thanks Rudi.

cookaburra

I don't notice any difference...

Post by cookaburra » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:45 pm

I have a feeling that these are going to be stupid questions, but never the less:

I've installed the afterpressure upgrade, but for the life of me, I can't notice a difference at all on any patch or with any combination. Can someone recommend a stock (I've got v3.1) patch/settings combination that will demonstrate the upgrade? I'm getting a little bit concerned that there might be something wrong with my board... Is there some setting I have to enable to get the afterpressure to work?

Also, just to double check: the afterpressure ribbon connector's notched side should be facing the tab that extends from the connector, right?

thanks,
Cook

cookaburra

Post by cookaburra » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:06 pm

Never mind... My questions were boob-ish.

I thought it was taking into account any change in the amount you press on a key after the initial strike. I was easing off the key after the strike and expecting a change (like I thought I was seeing in the video). Yes, this is my first keyboard with aftertouch.

It turns out that it's much more simple- it's just based on how hard you press down on the keys... and you really do have to press surprisingly hard.

That being said, it is a neat upgrade, though. I totally dig the frosted wheels.

a post at http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 019407;p=1
quotes Moog's Amos as describing the afterpressure this way:

"It vastly improves on the usefulness of the existing afterpressure control. To use it, you just need to set the Shaping source on either modulation bus to “Pressure” and then the afterpressure will multiply the effect of that mod bus source on the modulation destination. The harder you press, the more of an effect you will hear. I believe that pressure is a Pot Mapping source as well; this is where I would recommend doing a lot of experimentation, as you will have your mod busses freed up for other effects while you use Pot Mapping to route after pressure to whatever parameter you like. Filter cutoff, key pitch, or osc 2 freq on sync sounds (sync sweep) are all good things to modulate with afterpressure."

MFenkner

Post by MFenkner » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:43 pm

Does anyone know the approximate turn-around time for the Factory Upgrade? My Voyager has been there a couple of weeks and I haven't heard anything yet , so I was just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

Mark

ARP

Post by ARP » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:24 pm

I was going to ask the same question...I emailed asking if they got mine which i sent in two weeks ago and haven't gotten a responce back yet..i guess the best thing to do would be to give them a phone call..
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:56 pm

Mine just left the factory today. It has been there about two weeks. Amos explained that between upgrades, normal work, and getting the phatty out the door there is quite a backlog. As always, they have been kind and professional. And although we all want the quickest turnaround possible we just have to realize there are only a few people actually working there and they have a ton to do to keep the ship moving forward. That said. I am sure your Voyagers are either on the bench or will be soon judging from my own personal situation.

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:28 am

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:00 am

I tried the webform and then sent an email a couple days ago without hearing back.

I only see "upgrade to blue wheels" - what if you want a field upgrade and already have blue wheels?

I still don't quite understand the deal between the field and factory upgrade. Wouldn't the best of both worlds be to send just the left hand controller to the factory rather than ship the whole instrument back?

If you do buy the field upgrade do you wind up with an extra controller panel lying around or do they want it back?

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:19 am

Yea, the word "upgrade" is confusing. However, since it replaces the entire LHC you need the one with blue wheels if you still want blue wheels when it's all said and done.

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:12 am

zbq wrote:Yea, the word "upgrade" is confusing. However, since it replaces the entire LHC you need the one with blue wheels if you still want blue wheels when it's all said and done.
Seems really wasteful and moderately overpriced.

I can see why swapping out the whole LHC rather than explaining a complex mod makes sense for a field upgrade.

But it would make more sense, less risky and save money just to send my original LHC to the factory and have them upgrade the board on it and return it.

But that as of now at least doing that isn't an option.