Voyager aftertouch fix

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:40 pm

zbq wrote:Got mine and installed it last night. Overall a nice, simple, welcome modification.
How well does it work- does the keyboard now have a decent feel for aftertouch control? Is it a nice, musically useful range?

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:49 am

I'm afraid I'm not sending my unit from UK to the States either.

I agree on the requirement for UK service centre (please) or field applied updates.
Voyager Performer, Minitaur
Cubase 8.5, Ableton 9, various hardware sequencers
OSX El Capitan on MacPro (cylinder) and MacBookPro.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:04 am

I installed mine a couple of nights ago.

The aftertouch is much more musical now. It actually has a linear response and has nice control. I tried modulating filter cutoff, hard sync, mod wheel - big improvement over the original implementation. Kudos to Moog Music for getting this out the door, I've been waiting for this. It really makes the Voyager a complete package.

One of my favorite boards for aftertouch was my ARP ProSoloist. When I routed AT to pitch bend, volume, and filter I can get a natural vibrato that is very expressive. Some of the presets on the PS are really good but you can't modify them. I had been duplicating ProSoloist presets on the Voyager, but the missing gap was the AT. The upgrade closes that gap.

Mal, the pitch bend on each assembly is calibrated before it leaves the factory. I checked my unit after the upgrade and didn't have to touch a thing.

If you buy the field upgrade for DIY installation, it comes with instructions on a CDROM. I'm an EE and there is nothing difficult about installing the upgrade. The instructions are well specified and anybody can do it.

The upgrade is an entire replacement assembly for the LH wheels - white or blue. If you have been wanting blue wheels, this is a good way to get them since you can get two upgrades for a little more than the price of one.

Oh yeah - they made the jump to SMT. The PC board on the upgrade has SMT components.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:26 pm

oh man, it must have been hard to convert all their stock of resistors and caps to SMT. The are probably going to have stockpiles of both surface mount parts and through hole for awhile (cringe).
But i guess it's a pretty wise decision, it will make the technician's lives alot easier to just feed reels into a placement machine and just bake it instead of the labor intensive hand soldering

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:40 pm

My blue wheel field kit turned up today... thanks to all at moog for sorting this out so quickly for me, as I am currently in RI, returning to Ireland on Sunday (and I had some problems with my Irish credit card - there are no zip codes in Ireland so it always gets declined abroad!).

So much easier to get hold of it here in the States and pack it in my luggage... so long as I can get home that is!

So hopefully on Monday I will be installing the upgrade and playing with pressure.

Once again, great personal service from all at moog.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

till

Post by till » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:48 am

I receided the Aftertouch Fix and the 3.x Hardware pgrade today.
It took about an hour to do it.
But I have to admit, that I also took some pictures during working on it.
It is easy to do for people that did opened synths or computers before.
No soldering needed at all.

My 3.x hardware upgraded did not need any calibration at all.
But the pitch wheel of the Aftertouch fix was totally of.
Anyway, this isn't that hard to do.
And when I did the upgrade of OS 2.1 (???) I had to calibrated it before. So it was an well known process for me.

BTW: I had to pay 72,72 Euro Custom fees and sales taxes for the package here in Germany.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ukm

Post by ukm » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:16 pm

Hello;
sounds interesting. I have OS 3.2 installed on my Voyager but without the hardware upgrade.
Would be nice if it could be ordered in Germany to avoid all that hassle with taxes a. s. o..

ukm

RL

Post by RL » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:38 pm

Would be nice if it could be ordered in Germany to avoid all that hassle with taxes a. s. o.
Sure it's nice :D
Please ask Stefan Hund from EMC about the price (the Aftertouch Fix is available now). His phone number is 07345 2381410.
Have fun,
Rudi

ukm

Post by ukm » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:16 pm

Thanks Rudi;

didn't see it announced at the website; I'll surely take this into account after I've decided for new converters - this has higher priority at the moment.

Regards
ukm

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:17 pm

So I got back to Ireland Yesterday and opened up my moog field kit box to find the CD has a crack in it, and it won't read.

I'm guessing it included a .doc or pdf of the instructions...

I'm savvy enough to do the hardware install but if someone could email me the contents of the disk that would be great, just incase I have to re-calibrate etc.

Would contact moog directly but time differences and cost of calls prohibited etc.

any help in this appreciated.

Mal

[email protected]
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:57 pm

Yay... new aftertouch feild kit in and working great... no need to recalibrate the pitchbend, and contrary to what Amos told me, the pitch difference that i experienced on my early SE seems to be less... it's still there but seems to me to be less of a difference in the pitch end stops for both up and down, so bonus.

One thing though... the metal spring prongs scraped the wood inside at extreme up and down settings on the pitchbend so I had to make the little carved out V groove on the wood below bigger.. no problem with a chisel though!

Out of interest I would still like a copy of the contents of the included CD if anyone can send me it.

cheers

Mal

MC

Post by MC » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:10 pm

Mal, check your email...

...and am I the only one who noticed something... different... about one of the pics in the instructions? :)

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:08 am

Does the aftertouch fix affect MIDI aftertouch as well? Is it now possible to send MIDI aftertouch data somewhere between completely on and completely off?

tx

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:40 am

Thanks MC for the document... nice nail job!

Just to point out, in my experience I don't have the 5 wire keyboard cable... on my early Sig Edition there is only 2 cables under the left hand controller... presumerably this is because they changed the keyboard at a later date (I think I remember hearing?).

Anyone confirm?

Mal

MC

Post by MC » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:17 am

Yes, early SEs only had two cables under the LH controller, as did mine. I alerted Moog to that minor difference.