Question about CV/GATE Inputs.

Everything Phatty.
northern hope

Question about CV/GATE Inputs.

Post by northern hope » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:29 am

I noticed that the LP doesn't have an Envelope Gate switch like the Voyager has. Does this mean that the CV/GATE ins are simply active whenever plugged in? Kind of a random question, I know, but I'm wondering why the Voyager would have this switch and not the LP?

rachel

Post by rachel » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:14 am

Maybe it's a "soft" switch.

rachel

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:04 am

Great point. I hadn't thought about that.....

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Yes, CV/GATE jacks are active when plugged in. If you want to leave the gate open all the time, just plug a dummy jack into the gate-in. Not quite as convenient as a switch, but the hardware was already there and it works just fine.

If you were handy, I suspect you could build a dummy jack with a microswitch attached to it, and leave it plugged into the gate in any time you weren't using it for an external CV sequencer. That way you would have a handy switch any time you wanted to switch the gate on for external audio processing, etc.

It still beats the "gaffer tape on one key" technique I used to use with my old synths! ha

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:29 pm

Ok, that works for me just as well. It's just as easy to pull the cable out as it is to flip a switch, more or less.

Thanks for the info....

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:10 am

does dummy jack just mean a lead that's not plugged into anything, could i use a minijack - guitar size lead adapter

i assume that you'd need 5 volts of DC running through the input to close the gate, and that this plug method of openning the gate wouldn't work on a roland synth?

if i'm wrong then i have no idea of what your talking about, but if i'm right then i'm pleased to finally see a functional difference between s-trig and v-trig other than incompatibly

the thing i don't understand though, this will leave the gate open but the envelope will eventually close down anyway, if you wanted to leave the VCA open couldn't you just plug an expression pedal into the volume input and leave it on full?

and about the CV in. Does plugging anything into this cancel out the voltage from keyboard or add to it?

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:25 pm

I noticed that the LP has gate Pitch CV In (1 V/Oct), Filter CV In, Volume CV In and Keyboard Gate In. I have an Oberheim DSX sequencer which has 8 CV and Gate outputs. If I want to use the LP for sequencing with the DSX can I use CVs 1-3 and then use Gate 1? Will that work?

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:47 pm

Sure it'll work. That's exactly what CV is for!