new video

Everything Phatty.
godzilla

new video

Post by godzilla » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:41 am

has everyone seen it?

that grab/snap/track mode for the knobs is awesome
does the voyager have a similar thing when editting its presets?

other than that nothing new really, but seeing the blue lights following the knob is cool

do you think they'll send it out as another dvd?
if they do i hope it has more on it than that

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:23 pm

Yes, I have seen the video! I have a sneaky suspicion there will be more videos. (LOL)

No, the Voyager's knobs don't do that. Those three systems of moving the knobs are great.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:17 pm

I really like being able to twist a knob past the preset and THEN it starts affecting the patch. It's a minor miracle that these are Analog Pots that are also being encoded at hi-res for the patch.

I detested the Korg MS2000, one of the reasons was that those tiny knobs could only snap to the new value. Brush past a knob on a preset? SNAP. New value... the Alesis Ion did it better with infinite analog Pots, digitally scanned, but they had problems of their own.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:53 am

that's how i thought it would work when i saw the first clue (if it was a synth)
yeah it would have been cool but the way they have done it with RAC and everything does make a lot of sense

i hate that snapping problem on my juno, well i guess it's not that bad but if you only had one knob per section it would be hell

i didn't even think of how big a problem it would be on the LP until i saw them fix it in the video

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:59 am

just had a look at pic of the ion

how do you know where the knobs are?

there's no markers, no lights, if they go all the way round then what are you supposed to do?

if they had the LPs LEDs then that would work really well

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:51 pm

godzilla wrote:just had a look at pic of the ion

how do you know where the knobs are?

there's no markers, no lights, if they go all the way round then what are you supposed to do?

if they had the LPs LEDs then that would work really well
When you grab a knob on the Ion, the large backlit display shows the value, both as as graphic, and as a number. It's a pretty great system.

In order to see the value, you have to turn a knob, but they are so sensitive, that just touching the knob will change the screen (with inaudible results.)

The main problem with the knobs is that they are so sensitive, that left alone, just sititing there, the Ion might decide a butterfly in China was trying to edit LFO 2.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

rachel

Post by rachel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:00 am

I thought Alesis had a fix for that? It's a known problem with the Ion
that I thought they would fix....

rachel

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:31 am

What was fixed was the infamous "Ghost Editing" which was the editing setting coming on for no apparent reason. Sometimes the ghost edit would stay there and you were unable to see any other edit. That was fixed.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:31 pm

Back to the Little Phatty......

Watching that video makes me even more anxious for mine to arrive. That is a really well thought out little synth. I like the ability to choose how I want the knobs to react in relation to the present settings. The overdrive sounds awesome, and the ability to group presets is great for live performance.

That little baby sure sounds true to it's Moog heritage. Still can't wait to see what the extra features are.
Thanks Bob!!

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:36 pm

Bro, me too! Looks like they'll be shipping in August...can't wait. I'm surprised that video didn't get more people fired up. Looks so cool 8)

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:59 am

I admit I was a bit concerned at how user friendly the rationalised number of knobs would be, but from what I've seen it's superb. At the risk of starting something, I think the LP is more desirable than the voyager (I owned an SE briefly, sold it due to financial difficulties). I'm onto my second Prodigy now, and for me, the LP represents the right balance between price and features. It also looks fantastic.

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:51 am

I definitely think there's some "overkill" on the Voyager. Personally, I don't use the touch panel and I never scroll through the menus for anything, ever. I'm sure a lot of people use those features, especially when integrating it within a full midi setup, but I use mine in a knobs-cv-gate-only manner. That's why I'm thinking that an LP plus a CP-251 might do the trick for me. The only thing I can't get around at this point is the lack of a hi-pass filter setting on the LP, because that is a feature I use on the Voyager all the time.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:20 pm

I'm glad to see it up - although it's very brief. You see how (with some features like the knob mode), it's very easy to explain with video and sound. We did this video recently, and I found the LP to be very fast and easy to use - it has a lot of thought into it, so it's become a very streamlined (but powerful) machine.

Hopefully, there will be options for more demos and stuff like this in the future; the Moog things you already own probably do a lot more than you know...!