Murf step and Drum triggers

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
matt the fiddler

Murf step and Drum triggers

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:05 am

Do drum triggers output a gate signal/ sawtooth, or a more complex higher waveform? I am trying to figure out a way to use triggers from the roland v-drums or other drum triggers to trigger the step patterns in the murf [rather than slamming on the tap pedal for complex beats.]

i might have to feed them into a gate/ rack..

hmm
matt
Last edited by matt the fiddler on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:06 pm

I guess i problem solve faster than other people find intrest reply :).

I am just going to get the cp-251, and a small modular unit from synthesizers.com that covers functions what my 251 and other moogerfoogers don't. [you only need so many noise sources] they have [in their catalogue of classic moog modular interchangables] a device that creates some options on getting control voltage from an input signal. - http://www.synthesizers.com/q118.html I figure 2 of those modules would suit my needs, routing either drum triggers or a full drum mix minus overheads to get some fast gates with the rest of the band for use in time dependent effects. Depending if I am on the more random patterns, it may not matter how many I get [in terms of sometimes getting double triggered], as long as it is enough to sustain the delay-]

Also, after thinking- I am sure with this, a slew generator, the MF-101, and a couple other tweaks and LFOs- I can start to emulate some of what the mutronics mutator offeres for sound possibilities.... though I won't complain if anyone sends me their mutator:)

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:46 pm

but do you know for sure that the tap input will accept a gate signal? i checked the manual and couldn't find a reference to this.

man it's too bad that the 8 envelope generators don't have cv outs.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:44 pm

can we hack it :) :P

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:12 am

hmm if it was fool proof i might but these things are too expensive i'm too scared of totally screwing it up. i plugged the wrong power supply in my murf once and it started making some very strange noises. almost gave me a heart attack.

hmm adding 8 outputs to a murf. you would almost have to put it in a new enclosure

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:56 pm

I would rather have 8 inputs than 8 outputs. why not both when we are going all out :)? - and link it to a external analogue sequencer or midi to cv control device to trigger each of the ranges. :)

you could do some of the murf effects with 8 individual band pass filters, an envelope generator, and several lfos or a sequencer... .

heck - i really want an envelope out on it- like the mf-101 has

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:06 pm

does anyone even make an analog sequencer that has an in and out for each channel? i don't know if i've ever seen one. the modcan and the synth.com both only have gate out for each channel

have you seen the modcan sequencer? that looks pretty sweet

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:08 pm

man, i wish i could get a readout of the circuit board. [it is a 2 level board]. i don't own a meter to test sadly... i can't use my dad's anymore :)... there are some unused pins and connection points on the board, that i am curious to what they have running through them.....

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:09 pm

gate in for each channel on the murf would make me happy.

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:42 pm

me too if i actually had a synth with a gate out to trigger the murf. did you ever find out if the tap input will take a gate?

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:09 pm

"does anyone even make an analog sequencer that has an in and out for each channel? i don't know if i've ever seen one."

http://www.metalbox.com/modules/seqsw.html

It can be used as a straight sequencer when nothing is plugged into the inputs, or as a sequential switch between audio sources or cv sources.

http://www.blacet.com/

Also makes a 3-stage switch and scanner. Same idea, fewer stages.

As far as the original question, trigger outs from something like v-drums are probably just simple pulses. Really the same thing from a tempo tap pedal. Level and/or polarity might be the only issue, which is easily solved with the mixer on the CP-251.

If you're thinking of going modular anyway, there are several modules out there that can extract a trigger/gate from audio.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:19 pm

I was on the border line for going modular anyways... So I took the plunge :) I was originally looking for a non modular solution..

anyways- the roland vdrums is a piezo transducer- each trigger sends a feed to the computer that sounds like a small tom [you can amp them directly]- the computer gates it, and adds preset sounds and volumes to that... maybe there is one with gate outs.. :)

BTW> laughed at the Blacet improbability drive :) cute reference http://www.blacet.com/ID.html

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:35 am

Some more research

In the Beginning,
Dr. Bob Moog's modular systems used a signal called "Trigger" to identify when a key on the keyboard was pressed and released. Of course, this signal could also be generated by other sources such as sequencers, foot pedals, drum controllers, etc. Triggers are used to start envelope generators, sequencers, etc, and are a critical function in any synthesizer system. Moog systems use 2 types of Triggers: Voltage Triggers (AKA V-Trig) and Switch Triggers (AKA S-Trig, sometimes called Shorting Trigger).

Voltage Triggers
V-Trig signals are patched using normal 1/4" plugs and jacks, and are approximately 3 volts when ON and 0 volts (Ground) when off. V-Trigs in a Moog modular are created by the 960 Sequential Controller (90% duty cycle) and by the 961 interface that can convert S-Trigs to V-Trigs. V-Trigs are the same as what we call a 'Gate' today. Gate signals allows for easier, more intutive patching and eliminate conversion.

Switch Triggers
S-Trig signals use a special 2-pin blade-type connector made by Cinch/Jones. Basically, an S-Trig is simply the signal being shorted to ground. This can be accomplished by a circuit, or by a passive (no power required) device such as a mechanical foot switch or push button. Moog keyboards produce S-Trigs and Moog 911 Envelope Generators use them to control their cycle. The one advantage to S-Trigs is that many source signals can be connected in parallel to create a logical OR (any signal makes it through). The disadvantage is that the S-Trig must go through a conversion module to interface to modules requiring a V-Trig (Gate).

Today,
Virtually all synthesizers use 'Gates' which are essentially V-Trigs. Usually Gate voltages are +5 volts or more. Usually they have a positive polarity, but not always, and some synthesizers have a switch to select polarity.

http://www.synthesizers.com/gates.html

That said- i bet the moogerfoogers use switch triggers, but voltage will work for them..

eric coleridge

S-trigs and V-trigs

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 pm

Just thought I'd add to this topic some of what I've found from using various equipment, including some Moogers:

The Moogers, use a kind of V-trig, or gate. I know that the MF101 ENV out sends a V-trig, not an S-trig. It's enough of a signal to trigger some of my synths with gate input, but not all. I'm pretty sure the MURF also uses some form of volatge gate input and NOT switch trigger.
I'm not sure why the new Moog Music decided to stop using s-trig on their products, but I would guess it made more sense in the late 90s (as there would be virtually no s-trig compatibility with any other newer products). For that matter, s-trig never was particularly compatible with much of any other non-Moog products and it's always been a topic of wonder why Moog decided to continue incorporating s-trigs on their post-modular products. Besides Moogs, I know of only some early Korgs that use s-trig.

There is a simple circuit, which is actually in the MIcroMoog manual (and reprinted on some websites) for converting V-trig to S-trig and Synthesizers.com sells this prefabricated circuit inside of a 1/4" to cinch-jones cable. Switch triggers don't have to be Cinch-Jones connectors either. There are 1/4 S-trigs on many 80s Moogs and 70s Korgs.

As far as drum triggers are concerned, I've found that there can be all sorts of different triggers used on various products, but they are most typically audio triggers. I have an older Roland product, the Octapad and an accompaning Kick drum trigger and they are not compatible with S-trig or V-trig. However, as someone said, these audio triggers if processed could probably function as either an S-trig or a V-trig (depending on the polarity of the signal). My Roland kick pad has a switch on it to change it's polarity, for instance. But even when switched to negative polarity, the signal is too low to work as an S-trig.

But any audio signal, if amplified enough, would probably work as a V-trig, at least. [/i]

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:12 pm

good input eric..

a question though. with my .com, inorder to use gate triggers- I need to use the 142 pedal interface http://www.synthesizers.com/q142.html

how is it that the moogerfoogers can read a passive pedal for trigger input [tap input on the murf- i just checked] , if it truly needs a v-input trigger? Is there a way that they accept both? or what?