EP-3, what is best CV=>MIDI option

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Zamood

EP-3, what is best CV=>MIDI option

Post by Zamood » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 pm

I bought the EP-3, liking its form factor and price, wanting to use it to control the IK Multimedia B-3x VST running on my PC.

I currently am trying to configure this pedal connected to a HOTONE Ampero Control unit (to convert CV to MIDI). The Ampero has a pedal configuration option that supposedly calibrates to the full sweep of the pedal.

Turns out the EP-3 is useless unless its potentiometer is set all the way up. I set the Ampero to send MIDI CC 11 (expression), tried all the expression curve options on the Ampero config app… and still get very unrealistic results… minimum volume, yes, when pedal is all the way up, but achieve maximum volume (CC 11 = 127) with only 50% depression (way too quick compared to the “real thing” or even just using an audio only/non-CV volume pedal instead), often with a lot of jerkiness in the level.

I’m separately asking on IK Multimedia forums whether there are there any settings in B-3x VST itself that can help out here.. but my question for you guys is whether there is a better CV=>MIDI converter out there that seems to transmit a SMOOTH range of MIDI values over the entire sweep of the EP-3 (or other Moog) pedal?