Audio doesn't seem to work

Everything Phatty.
Hisfack

Audio doesn't seem to work

Post by Hisfack » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:33 am

Audio in doesn't seem to work on my slim phatty. I have plugged in a dummy plug to the keyboard gate entry and reduced the decay level of the amplifier envelope to less than 12:00 (while keeping a maximum sustain level), as the manual suggests. I have also checked that filter frequency isn't too low and that the audio out button has been switched on, but I've probably forgotten something else. Any ideas?

stiiiiiiive

Re: Audio doesn't seem to work

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:45 pm

Hello!

I guess you meant the audio input doesn't seem to work :)
Well, for starters, you can try this:
- Make sure the filter is completely open
- Trigger the volume envelope pressing a key: you should hear the audio signal through.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:38 am

Yes, I believe a key needs to be pressed down. I saved this post from Steve Moore of ZOMBI:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:39 pm

... or this one, from me, whose first name happens to be Steve too :)

maxpiano

Post by maxpiano » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:34 pm

In fact the LP manual v3.21 reports

PERFORMANCE TIPS:
1. You can use the LP to process any audio signal simply by plugging into the Audio IN jack.
To hear the external audio signal without having to hold down a key on the keyboard, plug a
dummy plug (or a patch cord with nothing connected to the other end) into the KB Gate jack.

This will leave the keyboard gate open, and the volume envelope will remain at its Sustain
level until the keyboard gate closes
. Due to the design of the envelope circuits, you will need to
turn the envelope Decay parameter down below 12:00 in order for the Sustain level to remain
constant. If you notice that the volume of the external signal begins to slowly fade away, check
to be sure the envelope Decay parameters are not set too high.

so maybe you need also to check the Sustain level of AMP envelope?

TahuluLimia

Post by TahuluLimia » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

Hey there! No worries, troubleshooting audio on the Slim Phatty can be tricky. Here are a couple of things to check that might be the culprit:

Source and Cable: Double-check your audio source and cable. Make sure the source is putting out a signal and the cable is firmly plugged into both the source and the Slim Phatty's audio in jack.

Input Level: Ensure the audio source's output level is high enough. The Slim Phatty might need a hotter signal to trigger the gate. Try cranking the source's volume a bit.

KB Gate Settings: While you mentioned the dummy plug, have you tried playing some notes on the keyboard itself? Sometimes a stuck key can prevent the audio from coming through the gate.

Global Settings: Check the Slim Phatty's global settings menu. There might be a mute option for the audio input that's accidentally engaged.

If you've tried all that and still no luck, it's worth consulting the Slim Phatty manual again for any obscure settings or troubleshooting tips. If all else fails, there might be a deeper issue and reaching out to Moog support for further assistance could be the next step.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

Mate, pardon me but you sound like an AI, no offense meant :)

Some clarifications:
TahuluLimia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am Input Level: Ensure the audio source's output level is high enough. The Slim Phatty might need a hotter signal to trigger the gate. Try cranking the source's volume a bit.
The Slim/Little Phatty gate will not be triggered by the audio in. It will by the keyboard, gate input or MIDI note on messages. That's explained in the extract of manual above.
TahuluLimia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am KB Gate Settings: While you mentioned the dummy plug, have you tried playing some notes on the keyboard itself? Sometimes a stuck key can prevent the audio from coming through the gate.
The only point which may be missing is that if the gate is configured in legato, you may have to retrigger the gate from time to time if the amp envelope decay setting is wrongly set. Again, the manual extract above explains that later point.
TahuluLimia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 amGlobal Settings: Check the Slim Phatty's global settings menu. There might be a mute option for the audio input that's accidentally engaged.
There is no mute option in the settings, see manual...
TahuluLimia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 amIf you've tried all that and still no luck, it's worth consulting the Slim Phatty manual again
Now this is the right piece of advice, which you might not have followed yourself according to what's above.
MaxPiano did fso or the original poster who hasn't come back since they created this topic.