Custom Moog Guitar Amp

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
perswhite

Custom Moog Guitar Amp

Post by perswhite » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:31 pm

Good day, everyone. Excuse me, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere, therefore I apologize if this is my first post on a new issue.

Whatever the case may be, my Sub Phatty is approx. 5 years old. Because I am a total amateur, please take my ignorance for granted. When I used to play my Sub Phatty, I usually listened with headphones or a digital connection, but now that I'm attempting to put together a proper music setup, I'd like to acquire something finer. My question is, would there be any issues when using a guitar amplifier to play it? The valvestate 2000 is a Marshall product. Without damaging the synth or amp, I simply want to be able to hear myself quite well without headphones, so I'm not really concerned about sonic quality.

For some reason, this makes me nervous. I remember asking the salesperson at a local music store about a completely unrelated recording setup, and he said something along the lines of, "Oh, good you didn't do that because it probably would've fried the amp and/or your computer."

I could use some advise. Much obliged.

analogmonster

Re: Custom Moog Guitar Amp

Post by analogmonster » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:09 am

According to the owners manual of the sub phatty the ins and outs on the back side are on line level. Which is just standard. A guitar output signal is just 10 to 60 percent of a line level, afaik. So a guitar amp should amplify more than the factors of line level.

Perhaps this is the point the warning of the salesperson refers to. A line level signal of a sub phatty might be too strong for a guitar amp, might be his concern.

If I am right, the picture in the sub phatty owners manual is misleading. There a guitar is plugged directly into a sub phatty, what should result in an input signal which is much too weak. In my opinion a preamp is needed for that, like for a mic.

But this is all theory. What you can do is (fully on your risk) to plug in your guitar amp into the phatty and level both down / to zero: The output volume of the phatty and the amplifying volume of the guitar amp. Then level both up very slowly and with extreme care to avoid unwanted distortions / death of your speakers / death of your ears / earth quake effects on your studio etc. blah blah.

From the technical descriptions point of view it should work that way.