Grandmother: MIDI Arp sync: triplets are incorrect

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Aszazin

Grandmother: MIDI Arp sync: triplets are incorrect

Post by Aszazin » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:51 pm

I just bought a Grandmother.

Currently I'm experimenting with MIDI sync, so I can play a sequenced beat on my sequencer (Renoise), and play live, using the GM arpeggiator (or sequencer) to sync on the beat.

When turning the rate knob of the arp/seq part to a rate which triggers on every beat, twice every beat, every 2 beats (etc.) all works fine, (after syncing the midi in Renoise), but my goal is to let the Grandmother Arp/Seq produce eight note triplets.

This didn't seem to work, instead of triplets, it produces a rhythm which plays 8 notes every 3 beats (instead of 9 notes).
So every 3 beats, the note is in sync with the rhythm.

This of course sounds rather messy...

Is this something that can be calibrated?
Be fixed by a firmware update? (I have the most recent firmware, so I mean a possible future fix.)

Can someone else reproduce this error? (Maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

All help is greatly appreciated.

Aszazin

Re: Grandmother: MIDI Arp sync: triplets are incorrect

Post by Aszazin » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:46 am

OK, no response on this.
I have not tried this again, but I guess the problem could be solved by adjusting the PPQN (Pulses per quarter note) in the clock settings.
Likely for correctly syncing to triplets, one needs a number dividable by three.

I'll post here whether this works or not, once I checked this.

audiodef

Re: Grandmother: MIDI Arp sync: triplets are incorrect

Post by audiodef » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:58 pm

I would love to know what you did to sync the GM to your DAW. From my DAW, I can send MIDI CC8 to the GM and it works, but according to the manual, I would also need to use CC40 to fine tune the value of CC8. For example, if my session rate is 111 BPM, there is no corresponding match in the range of 0-127 offered by CC8 alone.