How do I go about connecting my Sub37 to Cubase MIDI wise

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
benilzha3

How do I go about connecting my Sub37 to Cubase MIDI wise

Post by benilzha3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Hey all,

I’ve had my sub37 for a few years and love it but have always been avoiding the daunting action of midi syncing arpeggiators and the like to record to the tempo in my session. There are some pretty useful guides I’ve seen but I didn’t want to info dump on myself when I’m not sure what I need to connect the synth MIDI wise to my Mac. Is a USB cable adequate? Do I need a specific sort of MIDI to USB cable for the moog to go into my Mac while it’s also going into my interface recording audio?

Any guidance on this is awesome!

redconfetti

Re: How do I go about connecting my Sub37 to Cubase MIDI wise

Post by redconfetti » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:11 am

Sorry this reply comes so late, but perhaps it will benefit someone else.

You don't need any kind of special USB cable, just a normal one that goes from the synth (USB Type B) to your computer (USB Type A).

I've configured the Sub 37 as an "external instrument" using Cubase 13, and have associated it with a "MIDI Device" configuration I created in the MIDI Device Manager.

I created banks that match the Sub37, with each "preset" sending only the Bank Select and Program change signals needed to shift to a different preset. I've posted my configuration file for others to use here - Moog Sub 37 MIDI Device Configuration for Cubase. This configuration makes it possible to map MIDI buttons on your controller to the

I'm adding the Subsequent 37 Editor VST plugin to my VST rack, and then using it to remotely control the Sub 37 from my desk. Something that is really impressive is how Cubase presets are able to save all the settings for patches I create, and load them through this plugin even though the patch isn't saved as an actual preset in the synth itself. I assume it reads the settings from the VST plugin, and the plugin converts the VST settings into actual sysex messages sent to the synth to load the settings.