XY pad as midi CC control ?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
yvawoo

XY pad as midi CC control ?

Post by yvawoo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:05 am

I want to assign expression and dynamics on XY PAD as CC 11 and CC 1 to control orchestral VSTs. I use Moog One not only as synth, but also as a midi controller.

Is it possible to do that?

BhambriRohunu

Re: XY pad as midi CC control ?

Post by BhambriRohunu » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:12 am

Yes, it is possible to assign the expression and dynamics controls on the XY Pad of your Moog One as MIDI CC messages (Control Change messages) 11 and 1, respectively. This will allow you to control the expression and dynamics of any MIDI-compatible software instrument, including orchestral VSTs.

Here's how to do it:

Configure the XY Pad:
a. In the Moog One's edit menu, navigate to "Controller Setup" > "XY Pad".
b. In the "XY Pad Mapping" section, select "CC 11" for "Expression" and "CC 1" for "Dynamics".

Configure the VST Instrument:
a. Open the VST instrument you want to control.
b. In the instrument's MIDI controls or routing section, find the "Expression" and "Dynamics" parameters.
c. Assign the "CC 11" MIDI input to the "Expression" parameter and the "CC 1" MIDI input to the "Dynamics" parameter.

Now, when you move the XY Pad on your Moog One, the corresponding expression and dynamics parameters of the VST instrument will be controlled accordingly.

yvawoo

Post by yvawoo » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:59 pm

Thank you so much. I will try this today!

yvawoo

Post by yvawoo » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:05 pm

I still could not find the Edit Menu section you mentioned. How do I find the Edit menu? Thank you.

TolanaAudery

Post by TolanaAudery » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:14 am

Absolutely! You can definitely use your Moog One's XY Pad to control expression and dynamics (CC 11 and CC 1) for your orchestral VSTs. Here's how:

MIDI Learn:

Most DAWs and orchestral VSTs have a "MIDI Learn" feature. Open your VST plugin and look for this option within its settings.
Select the parameter you want to control, like "Expression" or "Dynamics."
Now, activate the "MIDI Learn" mode for that parameter.
On your Moog One, navigate to the MIDI control menu and choose "Expression" or "Dynamics."
Move the XY Pad in your desired direction (up/down for Expression, left/right for Dynamics).
The VST should automatically map the XY Pad movement to the chosen CC signal (CC 11 or CC 1).
Mod Matrix:

Alternatively, you can use the Moog One's internal Mod Matrix for more flexibility:

Route the XY Pad's X and Y outputs to individual destinations in the Mod Matrix.
Assign these destinations to modulate the "Expression" and "Dynamics" parameters within your VST via MIDI CC messages.
Fine-tune the modulation amount and response curve in the Mod Matrix to achieve your desired control.