Did I damage my matriarch?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Bennybb

Did I damage my matriarch?

Post by Bennybb » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:12 pm

Hi all,

In an unguarded moment I plugged two oscillator outs into a mult. When plugged in things sounded louder / brighter.

This got me pretty nervous thinking the matriarch sounded a bit more dull. But this could be up to my imagination.

I tried copying a patch from YouTube and not getting it to match entirely.. again, could be me.

Question is, how bad was what I did?

Thank you

Aszazin

Re: Did I damage my matriarch?

Post by Aszazin » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:22 pm

2 outputs in the Mult is no problem to my knowledge.
The Mult can be used to mix sound 2 outputs together, that's what you did.

If it sound less dull, you probably touched the filter frequency, or the oscillator waveform.
Or the phase between oscillators might be different than before.

These synths are beasts, taming them is a dark occult art.
Don't expect things to sound exactly the same two times in a row, let yourself go in the sound of the momentum and forget how it was before.

pmumble

Re: Did I damage my matriarch?

Post by pmumble » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:14 am

There's actually a patch in the official Dark patch handbook that came with my Matriarch that has 3 oscillator Wave Outs going into a mult, and then that mix going a attenuator and then to one of the VCA ins. "Stereo Strings". I can't imagine they would suggest that if simply turning the attenuator knob too far up would damage something. Should be fine.

In general though I think outside of matched systems that can be a no-no for badly designed modules. I think for these semi-modulars it's fine.