Ext Audio

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
joshhumble

Ext Audio

Post by joshhumble » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:04 pm

Hi All - Just got my Mother 32, and I accidentally patched the ext audio IN to the input on my Scarlett (attempting to route the output from my Korg MS-20). It's a strange mistake, but I was worried of an overload or damage from the Scarlett connection. Didn't get any results with the MS-20 once I routed it, and considering the Scarlett connection was an instrument input, I'm assuming no damage, but what are your thoughts?

synthpeter

Re: Ext Audio

Post by synthpeter » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:32 am

Connecting inputs to inputs usually has no consequences, assuming you did not connect phantom power (48V) in some way or another.

joshhumble

Post by joshhumble » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:46 am

The 48v phantom power was activated on the Scarlett input, but the cord used was a standard TRS vs XLR. Would that cause an issue? While pulling the jack out of the Mother, i heard a brief white noise through thr monitors, assuming it was trying to pick up something coming from The Mother. After fixing my mistake I tested the ext aud input on the Mother connecting my MS20, and all seemed good. Don't want to screw up my new Moog :)

synthpeter

Post by synthpeter » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:18 am

TRS doesn't carry phantom power, so you should be fine. The white noise is something that can happen if you pull out the driver side of a patch cable. The open cable acts as a pick-up, sometimes that can even be used as a signal source, for example by tapping the tip of the TRS cable with a finger. You can also experiment with connecting two inputs, where the interaction between the two input circuits does something unexpected. All in all, connecting two inputs shouldn't do anything harmful, but may lead to interesting sounds.

joshhumble

Post by joshhumble » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:25 am

synthpeter wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:18 am TRS doesn't carry phantom power, so you should be fine. The white noise is something that can happen if you pull out the driver side of a patch cable. The open cable acts as a pick-up, sometimes that can even be used as a signal source, for example by tapping the tip of the TRS cable with a finger. You can also experiment with connecting two inputs, where the interaction between the two input circuits does something unexpected. All in all, connecting two inputs shouldn't do anything harmful, but may lead to interesting sounds.
Thanks so much - very cool! I appreciate your great advice, and loving this machine.