New Moog One - Master Encoder "Crack" Noise

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
davidcittadini

New Moog One - Master Encoder "Crack" Noise

Post by davidcittadini » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:07 pm

I have a brand new Moog One and when I press the Master Encoder I get a loud "crack" noise that sounds like an electrical crack, like a short or a capacitor discharge. This is a different noise to the click produced by the knob itself. If I hold onto the Master Encoder before releasing, say for about 3-5 seconds, then I do not get the noise. So far it does not seem to affect anything else. I have reloaded the latest firmware to make sure that is not a problem. I have registered a RMA but one has the feeling that Moog has disappeared into the sunset. Therefore, has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks.

strytten

Re: New Moog One - Master Encoder "Crack" Noise

Post by strytten » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:13 pm

Hi David,

I've had my new Moog One about a month now. When I press the master encoder to load one patch over another, I often get a sound. It varies depending on the patches involved. It doesn't sound like an electrical crack, it seems to come from the sound engine and seems pretty harmless. I don't know if this is the same phenomenon that you are experiencing. I haven't heard any electrical cracks like what you describe.

By the way, my unit seemed a little better behaved after I did the voltage calibration and tuning procedures that are laid out in the firmware v. 1.5 update. That is one other thing you could try, if you haven't already. Good luck!
Moog One 16, OB-X8, Prophet 10 Rev4, Osmose, Trigon 6 D, OB-6 D, Kawai VPC-1, Rhodes Mk8 FX, Steinway D, Mac-based Protools w/Carbon.

papx

Post by papx » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:26 am

I think I have the issue you are referring to... but it has nothing to do with software, or a capacitor or anything like it. It's literally the physical knob... the metal centrepiece is popping in and out, or is being impacted by the transparent sticker covering it (which I have not yet removed). If you try pushing the encoder from the outside, there should be no such issue which will confirm this. I don't know if we just need a new knob... or if removing the sticker will solve it.

Wavlingth

Post by Wavlingth » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:12 pm

Not sure if it’s what is causing the noise for OP, but I had the same issue that papx described above.

Mine was caused by the silver center cap sticker not being fully adhered to the master encoder.

I fixed it by *carefully removing the silver sticker from the master encoder with a small pick - being mindful not to ding or bend it. (a needle may work). I put a coating of rubber cement and re-attached it. Problem solved.

I used rubber cement because I figured it would conform and add a bit of cushioning in case there were any areas where the silver sticker wasn’t totally flush. It worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.

papx

Post by papx » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:37 pm

So.. I actually dislodged mine. Chances are, if it's popping then it's not adhered that much in the first place.. if you just put your finger on the metal centre, and rub it around a bit.. it will just come off. Will glue mine.. this will be the second piece of maintenance I've had to do now since I've bought this! First was greasing the pitch and mod wheels (as they were squeaking real bad!). Still love this synth.. but these are pretty lame issues to get past QA.