Logic Pro sending erroneous control messages/info to the Sub 37

Everything Sub.
JonnyStrinati

Logic Pro sending erroneous control messages/info to the Sub 37

Post by JonnyStrinati » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:41 am

Hi there,

After having used the Sub 37 for a few years without any issues, all of a sudden the filter keeps closing automatically.

I've isolated the problem to Logic, as it doesn't happen in Ableton. And happens when I select another track/instrument. So a melody will be playing on the Sub 37, and then when I select/click another track in the arrange window, the sound on the Sub 37 disappears, like the cutoff is automatically set to 0. I think it's subsequently started doing the same thing with the volume levels of the oscillators too.

I've tried using different USB ports, rebooting the Macbook, the synth, etc. I've tried restoring 'Default MIDI & Global settings' on the Sub 37. I've also tried turning off 'Keys, Wheels, Panel' in the local control section. And I've even updated the Sub 37 firmware using the latest download from the Moog site.

But seeing as it's most likely a problem with Logic Pro, presumably there's something happening on the DAW rather than the synth that is causing the problem. It seems Logic is sending erroneous/strange information to the Sub 37 all of a sudden.

Here's my tech info:
Mac OS 11.7.9
Logic Pro 10.7.4

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JonnyStrinati

Re: Logic Pro sending erroneous control messages/info to the Sub 37

Post by JonnyStrinati » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:36 am

So managed to resolve this problem eventually, just in case anyone else experiences the same thing.

In Project Settings in Logic Pro, within Control Surfaces, I discovered an erroneous control message had been created causing the issue. So it was simply a case of deleting this message and problem solved.

hldonmgnolia

Post by hldonmgnolia » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:24 pm

Hey!

Any chance you can elaborate a little bit on what you did in Logic to fix this?

I'm on version 10.8.1 and don't really know what you mean by finding erroneous messages in the Project Settings. I've clicked around all of those menus and don't see anything that looks like what you're describing.

Would be super grateful for some help.

Thanks!

JonnyStrinati

Post by JonnyStrinati » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:16 am

Sorry, I can't fully remember exactly what I did.

Having a look there is no Control Surfaces within Project Settings, so it must have been a system setting. If you go to the Logic dropdown>Control Surfaces>Controller Assignments, have a look in there. I found an assignment in there for the Sub 37 that I deleted, and that fixed the problem.

You could also look in Control Surfaces>Set Up, and check everything's as it should be in there.

hldonmgnolia

Post by hldonmgnolia » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:13 pm

Thank you for getting back to me!

Your feedback prompted me to learn a bit about controller assignments in Logic and gave me a bunch of new things to look into.

After troubleshooting some more I'm starting to think my issue has something to do with the other synth (Minilogue) that I have hooked up over USB. When I turn the Minilogue off or unplug it I haven't been able to recreate the issue.
I did notice that whenever the Sub 37 would cut out there was an associated MIDI message being sent as indicated by the red MIDI light on it. Not sure if it's the hub or a MIDI message or a MIDI channel issue now but happy to have the Sub 37 working as long as the other synth isn't on for the time being.

Thanks again!

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:37 am

JonnyStrinati wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:36 am So managed to resolve this problem eventually, just in case anyone else experiences the same thing.

In Project Settings in Logic Pro, within Control Surfaces, I discovered an erroneous control message had been created causing the issue. So it was simply a case of deleting this message and problem solved.
Thank you for sharing your resolution. It is important for the community to understand that examining Project Settings in Logic Pro, particularly within Control Surfaces, can disclose and resolve difficulties. Identifying and deleting an incorrect control message is a useful tip for anyone dealing with a similar issue.