Any recommendations for MOOG based albums

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
synthguy

Re: Any recommendations for MOOG based albums

Post by synthguy » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:47 am

Check out Anthony Phillips album 1984. This all-instrumental album is a great example of what can be done with the Polymoog, which is featured throughout. Anthony was one of the original members of Genesis, and his playing and composition is excellent throughout. It was just remastered a few years ago, and sounds wonderful.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:13 pm

Polymoog & ARP 2600 if I remember correct?

I bought that album based only on what instruments were used, reading the back cover :lol:

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:42 pm

Yes, Arp 2600 as well.
There’s also a nice mix of drum machine and live percussion to push things along.

It also seems to me like some of the sounds could have come from the Arp Pro DGX; there are some that sound a bit like the ones Tony Banks used in various Genesis tunes.

The remaster has early mixes of some of the sections, and some other pieces recorded around the same time as the album (late 70’s).
It’s a pretty good synth instrumental album… recommended.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:29 am

I was disappointed to discover "jump" wasn't on it

RogerEye1253

Post by RogerEye1253 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:43 pm

billfoster wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:25 am Hey,

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for any moog albums. I'm sure there are some classic ones out there.

Cheers :)

Hey,

Absolutely, Moog has produced some classic albums that are a treat for electronic music enthusiasts. Here are a few recommendations:

Wendy Carlos - "Switched-On Bach" (1968):

A groundbreaking album featuring classical music performed on a Moog synthesizer. Wendy Carlos played a pivotal role in popularizing the synthesizer.
Isao Tomita - "Snowflakes Are Dancing" (1974):

Tomita's interpretation of Claude Debussy's compositions using Moog synthesizers creates a mesmerizing and otherworldly atmosphere.
Keith Emerson - "Moog Plays The Beatles" (1970):

Keith Emerson, of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, takes on Beatles classics in this album, showcasing the Moog's versatility.
Tangerine Dream - "Phaedra" (1974):

A pioneering work in the Berlin School of electronic music, "Phaedra" is known for its atmospheric and ambient sounds.
Jean-Michel Jarre - YoWhatsApp"Oxygene" (1976):

Jarre's "Oxygene" is a landmark album in electronic music. It's a beautiful journey through ambient and melodic landscapes.
Kraftwerk - "Autobahn" (1974):

While not exclusively Moog, Kraftwerk heavily used synthesizers, including the Moog, in "Autobahn," contributing to the emergence of electronic pop.
These albums showcase the versatility of the Moog synthesizer across different genres. Enjoy exploring these classics! Cheers!