Moog 3band parametric Equalizer

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
longsky

Moog 3band parametric Equalizer

Post by longsky » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:19 am

Good evening.
This is the first of several posts. :D

I am using a Sub37.
I am considering installing a 3-band parametric equalizer to get closer to the rough, classic moog sound of the minimoog.

Would it work for the "minimoog-like roughness" I'm hoping for?

till

Re: Moog 3band parametric Equalizer

Post by till » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:31 am

No.
If adding just a bit of EQ could change the sound of one synth into the sound of another, we all would have saved a lot of money by doing so.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

longsky

Post by longsky » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Thanks for the comment.
I see. :D

Can you make it a little rougher with the equalizer?

And is there a way to achieve that for a low cost?
An effector?

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:17 am

The main sound determining elements / specials of the Mini are the 24db transistor ladder filter and the Moog Saw waveform - beside the side effects of all other components like the VCA etc.

longsky

Post by longsky » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:29 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies.
It seems that the equalizer does not produce changes in the sound (like the miniMoog here).

I like the Sub37, but I'm considering buying the mini. (in the future)

thank you!

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:37 am

Many years ago I had a Moog Three Band Parametric EQ. It was the first Moog product I ever owned.

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:51 am

I think you would be hard pressed to find any now for sale used since it was so long ago. I remember the Polymoog back then and it was 5K.

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:41 am

You can obtain 3 band parametric equalizers for much less money. I looked ad the Moog 3 band equalizer prices / offers and the Moog 3 band equalizer schematics. Totally overpriced. And if you want the Minimoog sound buy a ladder filter clone.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:06 am

I have a 3 band moog eq ( and many other eq’s) and i have to disagree with the last post . The moog eq is surely dfferent from he eq’s i use : t very well keeps the bass component, never thins out the sound and has when desired a nice drive/ little overdrive possibitiy . I use it with a t3 pedal and it gives me a whole pallete of soundpssiities no other eq could give . ( neither software eq’s) . So is it worth the nowadays marketprice : yes . Same btw for the other 19” vintage moog effects Like the graphic eq and the 12 band phaser, very good material that cannot be replaced as good by things with partly the same name machines when you use your ears.
The three band eq is a one of a kind eq in the field , makes my t3 rock , the prices are firm but fair .
Btw he sub37 is a nice but bit polished sound. If you want more roughness but can’t pay for a vintage minimoog i’d suggest to try the grandmother or matriarch instead , i think soundwise it’ll come much closer to your wish.