Little Phatty tuning issue and preset button issue

Everything Phatty.
OBMOOGMAN

Little Phatty tuning issue and preset button issue

Post by OBMOOGMAN » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:13 pm

Hello,

I have a Little Phatty Stage II that I bought new in 2012. It has recently developed two issues.

1) Oscillator two drifts really bad, the unit is un- useable. I can only use it with the sync button on.
I have tried the self calibration note first, then OSC 2, and the self calibration for OSC2 gets stuck, I have to turn the unit off, then turn it back on again. After about ten tries it finally said successful!! However, it didn't help the problem, the second oscillator won't stabilize. When you put it on auto tune you can see it jump from like 29.00 back to 60.00!!

2) The second problem is not as serious and I saw a thread with someone else having this same problem. The preset button switches to red from yellow by itself. It never stays on preset (yellow) but switches to panel active (red). I check the poly section (as someone in the thread suggested) and it's off.

Can anyone help me with these issues. Also where would I send the unit if it requires repair?

Freddy

stiiiiiiive

Re: Little Phatty tuning issue and preset button issue

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:02 pm

HI Freddy, welcome to the forum.

I think the second problem is actually a side effect of the first one: the oscillator 2 frequency moves (by itself), hence having the LP detecting a change in paramter. Consequently, it indicates that the preset settings were moved.
When you solve problem 1, I bet you won't observe problem 2 anymore.

Now problem 1... it might be the "dancing LEDs" problem :)

Question 1: when oscilltaro 2 drifts, can you see the LED collar of the said oscillator move by itself?

Question 2: you talk about the oscillator 2 pitch, but does the phenomenon occur on oscillator 1 too when you set the knob so that it displays/adjusts this parameter?

Question 3: More generally speaking, do all the knobs do this? You can try to set them all at noon, go grab a coffee and get back to see if they have moved alone. They are more likely to do so when the synth is not warm already.

Question 4: if so, have you recently changed anything in the way you power your LP? New power outlet? New power strip? Or just a new location? I had a Slim Phatty working perfectly at home but it did this jsut before a recording session... or even before a live! I will usually get better with the synth warming, again.

Hope this hleps!

OBMOOGMAN

Post by OBMOOGMAN » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:09 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the response. The answer is no, to all four of your questions.

1) No lights change as OSC2 drifts.
2) OSC1 is working fine, no problems
3) All of the knobs seem to be working fine
4) I haven't changed a thing, power source etc. have been the same for years.

Freddy

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:41 pm

So unfortunately, that was all I could tell about your symptoms :/
If no one chimes in, your best bet is to contact MoogMusic support... but to be honest, given the LP is an old model, plus the recent big move in management, I'm not sure you can hope anything. But hey, who never asks never receives!

OBMOOGMAN

Post by OBMOOGMAN » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:32 pm

Do you have a name or number for support?
Is there an authorized repair center ?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:23 pm

Well, I guess the best option is to get in touch through the Moog website.
They obvisouly repair in Asheville, but depending where you live, you may have a repair center closer to you. You may want to consult the list of local dealers and ask yours whether they do this.

OBMOOGMAN

Post by OBMOOGMAN » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:20 pm

Hello,

I wanted to post and update on my Little Phatty situation. I performed all four calibrations. They all went successful! As soon as I tried it, This is what happened. When switching to a preset, the yellow preset button would stay on for a few seconds and the unit would be completely out of tune! Then , by itself, it would switch to active mode with the red light on (As mention preciously) but would then be perfectly in tune. I Did notice something else, the values of all of the knobs also changed by themselves and the filter knob does nothing at all, (It used to add more treble filter as you turned it clockwise) and when you hit the overload button, then turned the filter knob clockwise the volume and effect would burst in very loudly to its full value. Previously it would come in smoothly as you turned the knob clockwise. I have been unable to locate anyone in Florida who will work on the unit, the local Guitar Center claims to be a Moog Dealer, however they have no Moog gear in stock and the technician does not work on it. Let me know what you think, and how to proceed with a repair. Thanks

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:32 pm

Ok so more than just one knob kind of move alone.
About the calibration: did you wait for the synth to be warm before launching the routine? If not, I recommend you do it again.
About the Overload phenomenon: weird. Have you observed it more than once? I think about the "pot modes", one of which is "Relative". In that mode, you can have quite extreme parameter changes with little pot movement -not an instant change like in "jump" mode though.
I'm crossing fingers for this synth, mate!!

OBMOOGMAN

Post by OBMOOGMAN » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Yes, the value of multiple knobs turn by themselves. I wait a hour before calibrations.
The unit is useable in the sync mode. Otherwise, sometimes inadvertently.
Do you have a phone number for your main service center?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:26 pm

I'm just a Little Phaty player like you, not working for Moog Music.
I guess you can find a way to contacth them on their website, moogmusic.com.