What is your favorite Minimoog softsynth?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
DarkOut

What is your favorite Minimoog softsynth?

Post by DarkOut » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:49 am

I'm looking for an amazing Minimoog softsynth to become my go-to plugin when needing that type of sound. I also own the Soundforce SFC-Mini and am hoping to map it to the plugin! Would love to hear your thoughts on which one is your favorite and why. Thanks!

MLohmeyer

Re: What is your favorite Minimoog softsynth?

Post by MLohmeyer » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:22 pm

I haven't used them enough recently to compare the sound with my real minimoog because since I got the real thing, I haven't been playing these soft synths, but I am generally happy with the following three. Their UIs, price, and features make them good choices for a Moog minimoog plugin, and they do sound good.

Moog Model D for iOS/iPad
This was my first Moog soft synth and still probably my favorite because it is on my iPad and iPhone. Hence mobile, and convenient for making Model D music on the go. It is my go to bass synth when making music on my iPad. It has several useful features such as ARP, Bender, Delay, and Looper, and lots of good presets.

Cherry Audio Miniverse (and the modular version of the Model D components for Cherry Audio Voltage Modular).
The price as good and the sound and features are also good. The UI is relatively simple and complete (I mean that as a good thing). Like the real minimoog, you can dive in and know exactly how to use it right away.

GForce Minimonsta 2
The Minimonsta (1) was one of the better (or only) good Model D soft synths for many years. The release of Minimonsta 2 has improved the sound and the features and compatibility with newer computers. For shear features on a PC/Mac/laptop, Minimonsta 2 is one of the best if not the best. Again, sound may be subjective but Minimonsta sounds good. It probably has the most long term investment in sound design, and GForce VSTs have been some of the best. But now the price is pushing up on the high side vs. the first two listed above.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:04 pm

There's also the Softube one and Diva. Diva gets you other sounds as well.
Best to try a few demos and pic the one you like using the most.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:44 pm

To me the whole thing with the Minimoog is the physical connection with the instrument. If I hadn't it I would probably go for one of Behringer's Model D clones that are not very much more expensive than a premium plugin.

Soft synths are great in other ways to use synthesizers and there are many completely outstanding soft synths that goes far beyond what a hardware synth can go, with most beautiful timbres and possibilities. There are many Minimoog software clones that are very hard to tell its not hardware, especially in the context of music. But again, the Minimoog is so much more than just the sound. Anyhow, if I would recommend one software Minimoog it would probably be SoftTube, Universal Audio or Arturia.