Voyager XL Ribbon problem

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sEIGu

Voyager XL Ribbon problem

Post by sEIGu » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:47 pm

Hi, Mates.

since the last days my Voyager XL seems to have a headache.

Let me explain: Most times the ribbon-controller is attached via lag-controller to filter cutoff, that made me see, if the controller is used, it seems to jump back to the top of the ribbon without touching it. Pressing any other position, it most times jumps to the assumed position, some times it jumps back to the top of the controller.

Till now it did not check the voltage with a multimeter, the sounds gives enough feedback for a mistake.

What i tried so far: surface cleaning with alcohol (no beer or liqueur, just isopronanol).

The XL wasn't ragged on stage or hit by an airplane. Anyone got an issue like this?

ummagumma

Re: Voyager XL Ribbon problem

Post by ummagumma » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:41 am

I thought there was a way of setting the ribbon controller to either

A. hold the voltage setting

B. just be temporary while your finger is on it?

But I skimmed the manual & didn't see anything. Maybe I am mistaken, or confusing it with the touch screen

sEIGu

Post by sEIGu » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:29 am

Fresh thoughts to this, thanks ummagumma.

But no settings have been altered. Indeed I remember those options for the pad.

What’s weirded: it jumps back randomly to the top.

I‘ll think a grab a multimeter next to give some reliable values.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:51 am

Yes, I hoped that resetting the option ( I thought existed ) may help fix the random behaviour. I must have been dreaming though, because I can't find any reference!

Apologies & good luck!

sEIGu

Post by sEIGu » Sun May 22, 2022 5:05 pm

For the archives and later searches:

Tech commands the replacement of the ribbon controller.

From Moog-Support (Thanks to Jared!) came the suggestion of "first trying the ribbon controller calibration". The necassary files and documentation are provided via mail.

The controller is now on it's way to me. Maybe i'll do some shots of the replacement and post them here.

Thanks for reading and trying to help.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:50 pm

Wow, there is a calibration procedure for the touch strip? That would be useful to have!

Good luck, looking forward to the repair documentation

sEIGu

Post by sEIGu » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:30 pm

Hello again,

back after a lot of time - as is saw on the date of the post - my XL is still not fixed.

After a short conversation with Rudi, he told that the ribbon has to be changed. Unexpected unexpensive (although announced as "expensive", what wasn't a surprise...) emc-de.com had one new ribbon in stock (thanks for the quick service!) and since the the replacement is here, collecting some dust and other interesting particles. Sadly it's hard to find a service in Germany, as for example synthtaste und Driessen are complete overrun. I'm not stupid in servicing synths, i do many stuff myself, but the Voyager XL to me is... "to expensive" to try by myself without any help.

Simply question:

Someone's got experience in changing the ribbon from the XL? My stupid plan was just to unscrew the plasticframe of the controller - what worked pretty well - open it, get that old ribbon off, clean the old glue and put the new one in place.

It does not open. I hear you laughing.

Any hints for teardown or better someone in Germany with the patience an knowledge for the replacement and general service? It needs to be tuned, too. Rudi Linhard sent me a proper instruction for that, but till today i wasn't brave enough.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:20 am

You mean you can't get the back panel on the XL open?

If so, I ran into the same thing: the side of the PCB jams inside the case & won't let you pull it out. Try turning it the other way so gravity pulls the PCB away from the edge of the case. That worked for me.

Be careful, you don't want to bend the PCB by pulling on it. It should fall out easily if you flip it.

sEIGu

Post by sEIGu » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, umma.

It's not back panel i'm afraid of, it's the case from the ribboncontroller itself.

Im taking some pictures at the weekend.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:57 pm

Oh!

I have no idea how you'd get that out then, I don't think I looked under the ribbon ctlr when I had mine open.

Ps if you can post the calibration procedure, that would be useful for other owners to know about

Good luck

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:24 pm

Hey how did you make out?

I found what I'd confused as the ribbon menu options, earlier: the touch screen does give you options for keeping the XY values after the gate is released. One is T.S. global, the other is T.S mod bus. Not exactly sure what the difference is though. I have to experiment.

I'm guessing the ribbon ctrlr isn't hooked into the CPU at all, much like the extra XL patchbay options. So not saveable with patches, or configurable like the other standard voyager ctrls.