Question on SER#1 and #2 Moog modules

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
Surfguygriff

Question on SER#1 and #2 Moog modules

Post by Surfguygriff » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:11 pm

Hello, my father was a professional musician in the 60's and 70's (live stage and studio). He passed away last year leaving behind a tressure trove of his most prized and favorite instruments and his MOOG stuff was top of mind for him. I have good knowledge of most of this equipment and the stories behind them, but I wanted to ask opinions on 2 modules in one of his Moog System 12's. Aside from the main unit being a pretty low SER# (#1030) 2 of the modules (911 and 911a) are marked as SER #1 and SER #2 (pics attached).

I know my father new Robert Moog personally from the Cornell University engineering dept. and kept close ties with him as him Moog's company developed and his professional music career progressed. In the very early days Robert would occasionally send my dad prototypes of modules to play with and seek his opinion on. I think this is what these are. We have lots of other MOOG stuff here but I can't 100% nail the history of these down. Any opinions?

sdwillingham

Re: Question on SER#1 and #2 Moog modules

Post by sdwillingham » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:21 am

I would suggest that you contact EMEAPP IN Pennsylvania. They seem to have the most extensive historical knowledge and expert consultants who might be able to evaluate your father’s modules.

TahuluLimia

Post by TahuluLimia » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:30 am

It's fascinating to hear about your father's musical legacy and his close connection with Robert Moog. The possibility that these 911 and 911a modules are prototypes from the early days of Moog Music is certainly intriguing.

The low serial number (1030) of the System 12 itself suggests that it was an early production model, which would align with the possibility of it containing prototype modules. The fact that the 911 and 911a modules are marked with serial numbers 1 and 2 further supports the idea that they might be prototypes. It was common for early prototype modules to have unique serial numbers or even no serial numbers at all.

If these modules are indeed prototypes, they could be considered valuable historical artifacts of Moog's early synthesizer development. Their existence could help shed light on the evolution of Moog's designs and the feedback loop between Moog and musicians like your father.

To further investigate the authenticity of these modules, it would be helpful to consult with experts in Moog history and early electronic music technology. They might be able to provide more concrete evidence based on their knowledge of Moog's prototyping practices and the design features of these specific modules.

Reaching out to Moog Music itself might also provide valuable insights. They may have records of early prototypes or be able to connect you with individuals who were involved in Moog's early development.

In addition to seeking expert opinions, it would be worthwhile to document the modules in detail, including their physical appearance, any markings or labels, and any unique features or characteristics. This documentation could be helpful in establishing their provenance and historical significance.

Ultimately, determining whether these modules are genuine prototypes would require further research and evaluation by experts. However, the possibility itself is certainly exciting and could shed light on an important period in the history of electronic music.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:33 pm

+1 on EMEAPP

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:56 pm

I remember you asking about the Minimoog before. I think 🤔 you were trying to determine what synth you had and possibly what year it was