Minimoog (New Generation) White Keys Discolored

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cymrumoog

Minimoog (New Generation) White Keys Discolored

Post by cymrumoog » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:30 am

After 6 months in its custom flight case, I was horrified to find that all of the white keys on my most treasured possession has turned a dirty yellow/brown color :( . They were definitely blazing white going into the case but the instrument had been in a room with a small amount of sunlight coming in for 3/4 years prior.

I tried to call Moog Music but it seems like you can't talk to a human there these days. I opened a ticket but no response yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to rectify this? Thanks in advance.

VCO

Re: Minimoog (New Generation) White Keys Discolored

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:17 am

Possibly peroxide? I don’t know how that would interact with the white keys though. I assume the white keys are made of plastic. I don’t know if it would damage the keys. Also if it got some accidentally on the black keys I don’t know if it would change their color. Peroxide acts like bleach . Maybe in small amounts would suffice to remove discolor from the white keys 🎹.Not sure though , maybe if you researched it you could find out if it would be safe in that application.wonder if what people use to make their teeth white would be safe to use. Good Luck 👍

ummagumma

Re: Minimoog (New Generation) White Keys Discolored

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:46 pm

Bizarre, maybe the lining in the case reacted with the plastic keys? What kind of case is it?