MOTHER32 sequencer weird issue

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Odin

MOTHER32 sequencer weird issue

Post by Odin » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:22 pm

Hello fellas!

I'm having a rather peculiar issue on my mother 32. :shock:
When I use the sequencer, often some steps, usually on steps 1-7 of the first raw of a let's say 32 steps sequence, won't play at all! They are off and there's no way to play them. Nor by re-recording again or editing.
I've tried everything: recording in key & step mode, editing, uploading the firmware... nothing worked!
I've managed for once, to get the steps to work, but all of a sudden the problem appeared once again!
What's interesting is that if I go to editing mode, the notes are underneath, but somehow, there's no way to have them to play in the sequence. What's could the problem be ?
Did any of you had the same issue?!
Thanks for your help!

AndyTussel

Re: MOTHER32 sequencer weird issue

Post by AndyTussel » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:03 am

One thing you could try is to check the patchbay to make sure that nothing is accidentally patched in a way that is interfering with the sequencer. For example, if you have a patch cable going from the sequencer output to the VCA input, but the VCA is closed, then the sequencer steps will not be able to trigger the VCA.

If you've checked the patchbay and everything looks good, then it's likely that there is a problem with the sequencer circuit itself. In this case, you will need to contact Moog Music for support.

Here are a few other things you can try:

Reset the Mother-32 to factory defaults.
Try using a different power supply.
Try using different patch cables.
Update the firmware to the latest version.

CharlotteFilemdar

Post by CharlotteFilemdar » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:05 am

The fact that the notes appear in edit mode suggests that they're not being deleted or overwritten, but rather there's a problem with the sequencer's ability to play them.

Here are a few potential causes and solutions for this issue:

Dirty or Faulty Switches: The Moog Mother-32's sequencer steps are controlled by physical switches. If the switches are dirty or faulty, they may not register the press consistently, leading to missed steps. Try cleaning the switches with a soft cloth and compressed air. If the issue persists, the switches may need to be replaced.

Internal Glitch: There could be an internal glitch or hardware issue within the Moog Mother-32 that's causing the sequencer to skip steps. Updating the firmware to the latest version may resolve the issue. If the problem persists after a firmware update, it might be a hardware issue that requires repair by Moog Music.

MIDI Interference: If you're using MIDI to control the sequencer, there could be interference or conflicts with other MIDI devices connected to the same MIDI network. Try disconnecting any other MIDI devices and see if the issue persists.

Power Supply Issues: A power supply that's not providing stable voltage could also cause erratic behavior in the synthesizer's circuitry. Ensure you're using a power supply with the correct voltage and current rating for the Moog Mother-32.

Software Conflicts: If you're using the Moog Mother-32 with a computer or DAW, there could be software conflicts or compatibility issues. Try using the Moog Mother-32 standalone without connecting it to a computer and see if the issue persists.

If none of these suggestions resolve the issue, it's recommended to contact Moog Music's customer support for further assistance. They can provide more in-depth troubleshooting and, if necessary, arrange for repair or replacement of the synthesizer.

Odin

Post by Odin » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:07 pm

AndyTussel wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:03 am One thing you could try is to check the patchbay to make sure that nothing is accidentally patched in a way that is interfering with the sequencer. For example, if you have a patch cable going from the sequencer output to the VCA input, but the VCA is closed, then the sequencer steps will not be able to trigger the VCA.

If you've checked the patchbay and everything looks good, then it's likely that there is a problem with the sequencer circuit itself. In this case, you will need to contact Moog Music for support.

Here are a few other things you can try:

Reset the Mother-32 to factory defaults.
Try using a different power supply.
Try using different patch cables.
Update the firmware to the latest version.
Donno why, but I see your answers only now. Sorry about that! Thanks for your kind reply!
the problem is there even with nothing patched. And yes, I did already all you suggested: resetting and updating the firmware. Nothing seemed to work...

Odin

Post by Odin » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:11 pm

CharlotteFilemdar wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:05 am The fact that the notes appear in edit mode suggests that they're not being deleted or overwritten, but rather there's a problem with the sequencer's ability to play them.

Thanks for your kind message! Indeed Charlotte, that's a good point! ;)

Here are a few potential causes and solutions for this issue:

Dirty or Faulty Switches: The Moog Mother-32's sequencer steps are controlled by physical switches. If the switches are dirty or faulty, they may not register the press consistently, leading to missed steps. Try cleaning the switches with a soft cloth and compressed air. If the issue persists, the switches may need to be replaced.

Internal Glitch: There could be an internal glitch or hardware issue within the Moog Mother-32 that's causing the sequencer to skip steps. Updating the firmware to the latest version may resolve the issue. If the problem persists after a firmware update, it might be a hardware issue that requires repair by Moog Music.

Yep! firmware update has already been done. I guess should be an hardware issue I'm afraid...

MIDI Interference: If you're using MIDI to control the sequencer, there could be interference or conflicts with other MIDI devices connected to the same MIDI network. Try disconnecting any other MIDI devices and see if the issue persists.

No midi controller attached...

Power Supply Issues: A power supply that's not providing stable voltage could also cause erratic behavior in the synthesizer's circuitry. Ensure you're using a power supply with the correct voltage and current rating for the Moog Mother-32.

I'm using the original power supply.

Software Conflicts: If you're using the Moog Mother-32 with a computer or DAW, there could be software conflicts or compatibility issues. Try using the Moog Mother-32 standalone without connecting it to a computer and see if the issue persists.

The problem is there also as standalone unfortunately....

If none of these suggestions resolve the issue, it's recommended to contact Moog Music's customer support for further assistance. They can provide more in-depth troubleshooting and, if necessary, arrange for repair or replacement of the synthesizer.
That's probably the way to go. Thanks for your help!