Moog one hard sync noise

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Simon77

Moog one hard sync noise

Post by Simon77 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:07 pm

Good evening, I'm new to the forum and I greet you all.
I purchased a Moog One e
trying the Hard Sync of oscillator 2 or 3 with oscillator 1 I noticed that the higher the notes the more noise you hear, which doesn't happen to me with other analog synths.
Is this normal or does it just happen to my synth? I say this because the aliasing of high notes in hard sync is typical of digital and not analog synths.
Thanks to anyone who can give me an answer.

rtcstudio

Re: Moog one hard sync noise

Post by rtcstudio » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:38 am

Welcome!

As much as I do like this forum, responses are generally slow. You’ll get faster responses (and usually more responses) if you join a few of the Facebook Moog One groups. These are good ones:

Moog One Owners
Moog One Users
Moog One

strytten

Post by strytten » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:15 pm

At least one of the Facebook groups requires the facebook account to have been in existence for a certain number of months (6 months I think). If you are a luddite like me who has avoided facebook until now, best to setup your account soon to get the 6 month clock ticking...
Moog One 16, OB-X8, Prophet 10 Rev4, Osmose, Trigon 6 D, OB-6 D, Kawai VPC-1, Rhodes Mk8 FX, Steinway D, Mac-based Protools w/Carbon.

TingxoGamchu

Post by TingxoGamchu » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:50 am

It's normal to hear more noise when hard syncing oscillator 2 or 3 with oscillator 1 on a Moog One, especially at higher notes. This is because hard sync involves forcing oscillator 2 or 3 to reset its waveform every time oscillator 1 completes a cycle. This can cause aliasing, which is a type of distortion that occurs when a signal is sampled at a rate that is not high enough to accurately represent the original signal. Aliasing is more noticeable at higher frequencies because the waveforms are more complex and require a higher sampling rate to accurately represent them.

This is a normal characteristic of analog synths, and it is not a sign of a problem with your synth. In fact, some people find that the aliasing produced by hard sync is a desirable effect, as it can add a certain grit and character to the sound.

If you find that the noise is too distracting, you can try reducing the level of oscillator 2 or 3, or using a low-pass filter to cut off some of the high frequencies. You can also try using a different waveform for oscillator 2 or 3, as some waveforms are less susceptible to aliasing than others.

Simon77

Post by Simon77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:23 am

Thanks for your kind reply. I would like to point out that the Prophet I own does not generate noise. I also don't understand what aliasing and sample rate have to do with a fully analog instrument. Aliasing and sampling rate should be issues that concern a virtual analog instrument or even an analog instrument but connected to a digital mixer or DAW with a low sampling rate, am I wrong? However, I repeat that, in addition to the Prophet, other instruments that I have owned did not generate this non-negligible and not at all pleasant noise. I also tried to completely lower the volume of Oscillators 2 and 3 and I tried with all waveform combinations and with some waveforms the noise is even much louder. As regards the Lisa Bella Donna presets, where can I find them in the memory, having purchased it with firmware 1.5? Greetings.