Little Phatty Filter Question

Everything Phatty.
elias_

Little Phatty Filter Question

Post by elias_ » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:43 am

Hey folks, first-time poster here:

I've been trying to work out a patch that Cory Henry uses with his Little Phatty on a performance of "Trade It All", which you can see here: https://youtu.be/EsCZUqiYRRo?t=261

My question is this: it looks like Cory has the filter almost completely closed, and yet the patch is pretty bright. I don't own a Little Phatty myself and so I'm trying to recreate this sound using some of my other synths. Is there some aspect of the LP that allows him to get this sound with the filter so closed? Is he using a second oscillator that is wide open? Or maybe he's got his filter envelope depth wide open? I've attached a screenshot from the video in case it helps to see what kind of settings he's got.

Thanks y'all!

Astheologos

Re: Little Phatty Filter Question

Post by Astheologos » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:27 am

I have the Slim Phatty Firmware 3.21

The Filter Sensitivity
Values: -8... 0... +8

and (This is missing in the manual)

The Volume Sensitivity
Values: 1-15

stiiiiiiive

Re: Little Phatty Filter Question

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:50 pm

HI elias_, welcome to the forum.

Having a second oscillator wouldn't make any difference as they both go into this closed filter.
Two settings can be involved here:
- the filter envelope depth must be set to a high, positive value. The knob for this is located at the bottom center of the "FILTER" section of the panel.
- as Astheologos said above, there is a hidden setting for velocity-to-filter depth.

Hope this helps!