CV vs Midi Exp Pedal to Control Filter Cutoff

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
strytten

CV vs Midi Exp Pedal to Control Filter Cutoff

Post by strytten » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:33 pm

Background to set up my question: My first synth was a Prophet 5, purchased in 1981 (I don’t even know which Rev it was). I discovered that for my playing style, a filter expression pedal was a game-changer, and I used the pedal all the time. I’m pretty sure the pedal I used at the time was CV. When I leaned into that pedal the synth would growl and was so expressive, just as if I was turning the knob on the panel. In 1983 or so I bought an OB-8 and I used a pedal in the same way and I had the same experience, where leaning into the pedal was just as if I was turning the knob on the panel. However, there was one problem with the OB-8/pedal – just plugging the pedal into the OB-8 overrode the filter cutoff setting for each patch. Fortunately, I found someone to perform a mod to the OB-8 by putting a little switch on top that would engage or bypass the pedal, so I could switch modes easily.

Over the years my life took me in other directions and I sold off my gear. Over the last few years, I am getting back into synthesizers and I now own a Prophet 10 Rev 4 and OB-X8. I use an expression pedal to drive the filter cutoff on each but it is disappointing, it is just not the same as my original experience. I can’t get that ballsy growl, just a clinical sound that is a little steppy. It seems as if the pedal input is getting converted to MIDI or something inside the synth.

Thanks for reading this far - here's my question: I am now the new owner of a Moog One. I have not yet explored how best to control filter cutoff with an expression pedal, and I have a threshold question as I get started with this - is it possible with the Moog One under firmware 1.5 to accomplish a true CV connection to the filter cutoff like my original synths? If so, will the filter cutoff setting in each "synth" sound as the original setting until the pedal is moved, like my original Prophet 5?
Moog One 16, OB-X8, Prophet 10 Rev4, Osmose, Trigon 6 D, OB-6 D, Kawai VPC-1, Rhodes Mk8 FX, Steinway D, Mac-based Protools w/Carbon.