Matriarch Filter Change? Please check my sanity

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Magpel

Matriarch Filter Change? Please check my sanity

Post by Magpel » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:17 am

Hi Folks, I would appreciate it if someone would check my sanity on this one. After updating to 1.30 (or somewhere else along the line) it seems to me that the behavior of my Matriarch filters has changed. At 200Hz on a single Saw wave, the filter is passing virtually no signal at all. I don't think it was always like that but admittedly I could be wrong.

Here's a 20 second video of me demonstrating. Tracking and resonance off, spacing centered, env amt centered. The filter mode is Series in the video but the sound is same in Stereo. Parallel is as buzzy as usual :) Does this seem right to you?

FWIW, I had recently been seriously experimenting for the first time with the limited CV functionality of my Hydrasynth Explorer as an adjunct to the Matriarch. Sometimes, I think I have noticed before that after radical patching, the sound does not reset to its previous state by simply removing the connection. Sometimes it seems to get caught in an in-between state. Again, that could a bug with my brain and not the Matriarch...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5KU222ZLkpk

ortho

Re: Matriarch Filter Change? Please check my sanity

Post by ortho » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:30 am

I just did a quick test and i seem to have the same result as you. With the cutoff at around 200hz, it seems like it's filtering everything out, though i noticed if i did play well down into the low keys i could begin to hear muffled bass. I isolated filter 2 (LP) and to be sure it wasn't just a result of some bandpass configuration, and the response was the same. I don't know if this affects anything negatively really, the LP still seems to work as i need it to.

I've experienced similar weirdness where unpatching doesn't seem to reset the synth in expected ways and I will need to power cycle the synth. I guess if i had a complaint about the Matriarch, it would be vaguely about that, how you can end up digging a hole where things sometimes get too screwy and techniques stop making sense. It's kind of like a larger version of the VCA initital gain slider being up on ARP synths and users being confused that it won't shut up, though in this case maybe it's some of the logic circuitry in the Moog, that's supposed to help, overriding the basic analog design and getting stuck. You can tell i don't have a good technical explanation, ha.

Magpel

Post by Magpel » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:22 am

Thanks. Good to know. I sort of suspected it was no real change in the unit.

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:02 pm

Mine works the same (FW 1.30). I think it is normal bandpass behavior, but do not know how it compares to prior FW.