My Moog matriarch sounds a lot quieter when it's connected to my audio interface

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Sanskiii

My Moog matriarch sounds a lot quieter when it's connected to my audio interface

Post by Sanskiii » Wed May 24, 2023 2:15 am

Hi, I'm new to using external synths and hope someone can help me with this issue. Greatly appreciated!

So I just got a Moog matriarch as my first analog synth and it sounds really quiet when I try to record it through my audio interface (which is a Komplete Audio 2) in logic pro x. I've read that it's normal for external synths to be quieter than software ones. But the loudest level I've been getting on my synth is at around -40 dBFS, which I suppose is a bit too quiet even for hardware synths.

I've tried to turn to the maximum possible gain amount before the signal clips on both my audio interface and matriarch's volume knob and around -40 dBFS is what I get. I then connected Moog Matriarch directly to the speakers (Genelec 8010A) and it sounded so much louder than when it was connected to the speakers through the audio interface.

So, I'm wondering if a different model of audio interface would make the change. Or is the desired loudness level (that I get from connecting the synth to the speakers directly) something impossible to achieve when a synth is connected to an audio interface? Please let me know if there are other factors that I've neglected. Also, I used TRS cables for all of the tests mentioned above.

sdwillingham

Re: My Moog matriarch sounds a lot quieter when it's connected to my audio interface

Post by sdwillingham » Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm

Have you tried a plain TS cable? The Matriarch uses TRS output as an impedance balanced connection. With compatible interfaces or mixers, this works well.

I can’t think of any reason for the interface to not be able to handle a pseudo-balanced signal properly. But, on the other hand, there is no clear documentation I can find for how your interface “combi” jack is wired. A plain TS-TS cable might resolve the level issue, with minimal impact to ground hum.

Sanskiii

Re: My Moog matriarch sounds a lot quieter when it's connected to my audio interface

Post by Sanskiii » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:14 am

sdwillingham wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm Have you tried a plain TS cable? The Matriarch uses TRS output as an impedance balanced connection. With compatible interfaces or mixers, this works well.

I can’t think of any reason for the interface to not be able to handle a pseudo-balanced signal properly. But, on the other hand, there is no clear documentation I can find for how your interface “combi” jack is wired. A plain TS-TS cable might resolve the level issue, with minimal impact to ground hum.
Thanks for the suggestion! I've tried TS cables and that didn't make much of a difference though. :(

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:52 am

Sorry it didn’t help, but I’m not surprised. It’s a puzzling issue that I’ve read reported on occasional units. One workaround you can also try is to use the Eurorack outputs. Should be TS style connection, very hot level, a little brighter. You will also lose the master volume operation.

Sanskiii

Post by Sanskiii » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:04 am

sdwillingham wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:52 am Sorry it didn’t help, but I’m not surprised. It’s a puzzling issue that I’ve read reported on occasional units. One workaround you can also try is to use the Eurorack outputs. Should be TS style connection, very hot level, a little brighter. You will also lose the master volume operation.
Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get the adapters. Btw, do you think changing an audio interface might also help with this kind of situation or does that have absolutely nothing to do with it?

andreen

Post by andreen » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:29 am

sdwillingham wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm Have you tried a plain TS cable? The Matriarch uses TRS output as an impedance balanced connection. With compatible interfaces or mixers, this works well. heardle

Using a plain TS cable can sometimes help resolve issues with impedance mismatches and ensure that the audio signal is properly balanced for certain setups. It might be worth trying a TS-TS cable to see if it improves the volume level and reduces any potential ground hum.
Additionally, double-checking the audio interface's specifications and manual for any specific requirements regarding TRS or TS connections can also be helpful.

thomasfrank

Post by thomasfrank » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:29 pm

Sanskiii wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:15 am So, I'm wondering if a different model of audio interface would make the change. Or is the desired loudness level (that I get from connecting the synth to the speakers directly) something impossible to achieve when a synth is connected to an audio interface?
Yes, trying a different model of audio interface hoop grids with better preamp capabilities could potentially improve the volume and signal strength when connecting your Moog Matriarch or other external synths.

tonyadams

Post by tonyadams » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:34 pm

From my perspective, your Komplete Audio 2 may not provide as much gain as you need for your Moog Matriarch. You might consider upgrading to an audio interface with more robust preamp capabilities.

Sanskiii

Post by Sanskiii » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:56 am

tonyadams wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:34 pm From my perspective, your Komplete Audio 2 may not provide as much gain as you need for your Moog Matriarch. You might consider upgrading to an audio interface with more robust preamp capabilities.
I think you're right. That might be the most possible solution. I'm gonna look into it. Thanks :D

Sanskiii

Post by Sanskiii » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:57 am

andreen wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:29 am
sdwillingham wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm Have you tried a plain TS cable? The Matriarch uses TRS output as an impedance balanced connection. With compatible interfaces or mixers, this works well. heardle

Using a plain TS cable can sometimes help resolve issues with impedance mismatches and ensure that the audio signal is properly balanced for certain setups. It might be worth trying a TS-TS cable to see if it improves the volume level and reduces any potential ground hum.
Additionally, double-checking the audio interface's specifications and manual for any specific requirements regarding TRS or TS connections can also be helpful.
Got it. I'm gonna look into that. thanks! :D

Sanskiii

Post by Sanskiii » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:59 am

thomasfrank wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:29 pm
Sanskiii wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:15 am So, I'm wondering if a different model of audio interface would make the change. Or is the desired loudness level (that I get from connecting the synth to the speakers directly) something impossible to achieve when a synth is connected to an audio interface?
Yes, trying a different model of audio interface hoop grids with better preamp capabilities could potentially improve the volume and signal strength when connecting your Moog Matriarch or other external synths.
Yeah, seems like it's time to upgrade my audio interface and see how it goes. Thanks a lot! :D

Sanskiii

Post by Sanskiii » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:19 am

Okay, I've found the solution. It turns out I've been using the wrong cable all the time. After reading some articles and watching a couple of YouTube videos on balanced/unbalanced signals, DI box, and preamps, I realized my issue has nothing to do with the DI or preamp. I simply need to change the TRS cable I was using to a TRS-XLR cable. Took it as an opportunity to really understand the concept of balanced/unbalanced signals and the difference between line/ins/mic levels as a newb. Thanks to everyone who replied to this post :D