Controlling a Moog MG-1 with a Qunexus Controller

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
burk1211

Controlling a Moog MG-1 with a Qunexus Controller

Post by burk1211 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Hey all,

I've had a Moog Mg-1 for a couple years, and I just bought a Qunexus to do MIDI to CV conversion. I'm brand new to CV so help me out. It's responding and playing notes, but only with the sustain on, because as soon as you plug in the "trigger" wire it triggers the note and doesn't let go. any idea why this would be happening? It's an S-trigger right? I've already got that configured in the Qunexus editor but I'm still having trouble.

My synth friends think there's something atypical about the Moog MG-1's CV. Any insights?

Thanks

nezzyidy

Re: Controlling a Moog MG-1 with a Qunexus Controller

Post by nezzyidy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:40 pm

You are correct, the MG-1 takes S-Trig. I have personally verified that the QuNexus S-Trig works on the Korg MS-20 mini but make sure you have the correct scaling pitch scaling mode in your QuNexus settings.

Aside from that, make sure to try both with 'auto contour' on and off on your synth. Make sure you understand how sustain is implemented in the MG-1. Are you saying that when you have the trigger patched and sustain is on (attack set to lowest and release set to medium) you just get a constant full-on loudness with no contour? What happens when you turn sustain off?

If your contour settings for attack and release are set to reasonable places also try the 'tone sources' switch in the contour section. You will likely want the keyed or contour setting. I don't have an MG-1 so I don't know.

If you definitely fully understand your synth and have the correct settings then you probably need to get your MG-1 repaired. it is an old synth and most units have needed repairs by now.

rylan

Post by rylan » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:43 pm

Same problem here, tried both S-trig on and off and every possible combo of contour settings. It's annoying because I have a dead note on the organ chip that prevents triggering all the keys from the synth directly and replacements are quite pricey for that specific IC.

Anyone get this to work?

herringburden

Post by herringburden » Mon May 08, 2023 3:27 am

Same issue; tried S-trig on and off, as well as every conceivable combination of contour settings.