Keeping Track of patches / music ideas?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
FatGandalf

Keeping Track of patches / music ideas?

Post by FatGandalf » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:02 am

Hi all.
I'm the worst person in the world when it comes to organisation of pieces of paper etc. Now I'm the proud owner of a GrandMother I want/need to solve that issue.
I have the patch blanks that Moog provided so that's that bit solved. I can buy note pads with musical manuscript on so that should help, especially when I come up with a key/annotation method.
The problem is when I come to put these two things together while I'm working on a project.
What do you folks do? Any help would be most very welcome.
Cheers FG.
A bloke wanting to make his own musical worlds.

analogmonster

Re: Keeping Track of patches / music ideas?

Post by analogmonster » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:43 am

I decided to get rid of paper. I started like you, with paper and hand drawn notes using patch blanks, but changed to DTP programs like Microsoft Visio or others and created combinations of drawings and notes in one document.

I would create a blank with all components you need (note lines, patch areas / module listings or whatever) to have all on one sheet. Perhaps there are composer programs somewhere where cou can edit everything together electrically.

FatGandalf

Post by FatGandalf » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:17 am

Sounds like a good workaround.
I only really have access to an ipad but it's one I use for art so I do have a pencil and all that stuff for it. Perhaps there's a similar thing on there.
I shall follow your lead and go exploring!
A bloke wanting to make his own musical worlds.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 pm

Form my DFAM, I've wanted to get card stock and some nice 1.5cm hole punches so I could make my own patch cards that come with the DFAM. Probably wouldn't be too hard once you figured out the spacing for the initial version.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:30 am

Photograph the panel (iPad has a camera).

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:39 pm

For my Sirin I did a screen shot of the blank found in the manual and use acrobat on my iPad to write in the settings. Not sure it's that great a method - storage of the images in a consistent place is a challenge for me :D

I also just take pictures of the settings and hope that I remember to catalog them!

synthpeter

Post by synthpeter » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:20 am

For my DFAM, I use copies of the empty preset diagrams in the manual and pencil in the settings. It doesn't have to be super accurate as it's an analog synth, so its sounds are subtly different anyway depending on it being warmed up or not.