OS 3.6

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VCO

OS 3.6

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:59 pm

What features does 3.6 give voyager owners? I’m still using 3.5 on my voyager but am always hesitant to upgrade to a new OS being that sometimes it changes things for better or worse. Thanks in Advance

ummagumma

Re: OS 3.6

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:53 pm

Rudi made it easier to get "real panel parameters" by assigning it to 1 button press. It drove me nuts before.

Also I think the ability to disable "save patch" when clicking rapidly: which had caused me to erase a few saved presets accidentally.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:56 pm

Do you make a lot of your own presets? I’ve midied up my voyager and my pro3 before and got some interesting timbres . I usually use the sequencer on the pro3 and just play the voyager with it live. I don’t midi them together when I do this. That sequential pro 3 is real deep. The voyager and the pro3 are my two favorite synths. I’ve never had a paraphonic synth before. The sequencer is deep as well. I’m not even utilizing 1 percent of that synths capability’s. I have the se version. I like synths made of metal and wood. It just seems more like a musical instrument to me. Thier really different synths though but the pro3 can mimic certain moog sounds but the digital wavetable oscillator creates different sounds. The tuning on the pro3 is solid and has absolutely no drift. The keybed action on the pro3 is great as is the keybed on the voyager but I prefer the action on the voyager. The after touch on the pro3 works better .
I don’t really use aftertouch . And was never knowledgeable on how to get the settings right on the voyager. I be read all about the problems with aftertouch on the voyager. And to think the model D
Didn’t even have after touch or velocity back in the day.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:08 am

Yes, I never bother with presets much. By the time I scroll thru looking for something I like, I could have just dialed something in.

It can be educational to analyze them though.

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:18 pm

That’s good it helps you expand your knowledge base. There’s a whole art form in and of it self. I use to sample. Never could get all that keymapping down. I would just take interesting things that had merit musically and then just change them or morph them into something else. I would reverse things and that would change it a lot. I would sample tablas and Indian sitars and percussion. I liked to use world instruments and samples with synths I thought they blended well. I liked Peter Gabriel and his real world label where he collaborated with world musicians. I would even sample Japanese drums and . I had this technique that I would use the pause button on Sony CD player I had. I got good at looping the samples so it would sound seamless. I sold some of those samples I made to shooter Jennings Waylon Jennings son. I should have tried to start a cd sample based company and tried to pitch the buisness to him and have him bank roll the company . I would have doneall the programming and had him own 90 percent of it and I would just do sound design. But businesses that did that had a lot of resources to do what they did. I should have tried to hook up with game companies to do soundtracks. But in music it helps to have connections and you have to get a break

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:47 pm

And when I sampled I used standalone samplers with physical ram that was limited. Then all those companies started to release programs like gigasampler which used your hard drive like ram. So you wouldn’t have to loop samples anymore because you had so much memory and Hugh sample library’s could be created. And it was constantly evolving so you could be get outdated very easily. And softsynths weren’t anything like they are now. They really have progressed in the last 10 years. I have that Aparillo and factory app and they really are amazing what they can do , although I’m old school
When itcomes to performance.. I still like hardware and prefer it. Software can lag. I’m sure there’s people that really know what thier doing with software synths. I’m not that well versed in that. And pro tools was the cutting edge back then. Things are constantly evolving and changing . There are so many choices now. I don’t even know 10 percent of what’s available. And to be on the cutting edge takes innovation and chance taking.