Anyone know which keybed is used on the Matriarch?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
moogy_j

Anyone know which keybed is used on the Matriarch?

Post by moogy_j » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:09 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find a semi-weighted 61 key midi controller - does anyone know what keybed is in the Matriarch and if there is a controller that uses that keybed?

It seems to be semi-weighted and is responsive to aftertouch. I believe that if I had a controller with that feel I would enjoy it.

What I own:

- M-Audio Axiom 61 - too clacky and a bit mushy - but not horrible
- M-Audio Pro 16 - nice keyboard feel and responsiveness - aftertouch hard to control - seems to go from 0 to 127 and not easily in between.
- Novation Impulse 61 - nice keyboard feel - very hard to initiate aftertouch.

John
FuzzyCat Software - Software tools for musicians - www.fuzzy-cat.com

"Chonky" - free global parameter manager software for the Moog Matriarch and Grandmother - www.fuzzy-cat.com/products

Synth.builder

Re: Anyone know which keybed is used on the Matriarch?

Post by Synth.builder » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:46 pm

moogy_j wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:09 pmdoes anyone know what keybed is in the Matriarch and if there is a controller that uses that keybed?
I reckon it's a Fatar TP9/S.

The old Novation Remote SL mk1 and mk2 had these. The current mk3 doesn't which is a shame.

Bear in mind aftertouch sensitivity will depend on the processing circuitry and is not entirely down to the keybed. Likewise velocity accuracy and repeatability is also dependant on the processing - faster clocked CPU/FPGA circuits will give more accurate velocity measurements.

moogy_j

Re: Anyone know which keybed is used on the Matriarch?

Post by moogy_j » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Thanks - I was guessing it was a Fatar.

I find that most of the current midi controllers have horrible keybeds. They seem to focus on how many pads, sliders, and switches they can include.

I ended up going with the Arturia Keylab 61 MKII. Great velocity response and smooth as butter AT - but very expensive and has many features that I may never use.

John
FuzzyCat Software - Software tools for musicians - www.fuzzy-cat.com

"Chonky" - free global parameter manager software for the Moog Matriarch and Grandmother - www.fuzzy-cat.com/products