Subharmonicon Firmware Update, USB-MIDI adapter, SysEx...

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
MoogerFocker

Subharmonicon Firmware Update, USB-MIDI adapter, SysEx...

Post by MoogerFocker » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:43 pm

I'm sure several of you have encountered the new firmware update for the Subharmonicon...
Alas, it appears I do not have a suitable interface to complete it.

Wondering what USB-to-MIDI adapter is working for you in transferring SYSEX files on MacOS.

Any other way to make this firmware update happen, besides via a MIDI interface or USB adapter (i.e., spending more money)?

Thanks in advance for any quality recommendations.

VocoVacca

Re: Subharmonicon Firmware Update, USB-MIDI adapter, SysEx...

Post by VocoVacca » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:14 am

Sorry, but looks like you'll have to spend some money. :(

Since there's no USB port on the Subharmonicon (or any Moog semimodular), the only way to perform the firmware update is through a USB/MIDI interface. If you already have an audio interface connected to your computer (like a Focusrite Clarett or Universal Audio Volt) it likely has a MIDI out that will connect to the Subharmonicon. You'll need the 5-pin DIN to 3.5mm TRS plug adapter that came with the Sub.

If you don't have an audio interface, you can get a simple USB-MIDI adapter for under $50–$60 from iConnectivity, Yamaha, Hosa, and others. Check out this Sweetwater page: https://www.sweetwater.com/c677--MIDI_Interfaces
Moog One 16, Matriarch, Mother-32, Subharmonicon, DFAM, Mavis, SubPhatty; Nord Wave 2, Nord Drum 3; ASM Hydrasynth; Teenage Engineering POM-400; Yamaha P-140 piano.

MoogerFocker

Post by MoogerFocker » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:23 pm

I have a MKi NI Komplete Audio 6 (almost a decade old at this point), but it did not seem to work.
And I have read several of the options offered above have been unsuccessful with SysEx transfer, for one reason or another.

Maybe someone can recommend a USB-midi adapter that has successfully made this update?

Scheffer

Post by Scheffer » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:49 pm

I read posts that talked about the Roland UM-1 in good (but I haven’t tried it).