COMPLETELY new to moog (i got a sub 25)

Everything Sub.
BlakeMoody

COMPLETELY new to moog (i got a sub 25)

Post by BlakeMoody » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:07 pm

What's up my people!?!?!?
i'm BRAND NEW to moog. HOW THE &*^% DOES THIS THING WORK !! lol

is there anything out there (youtube vids, etc) to literally start from ground zero like straight out of the box with this thing?
like are there presets built in? i understand all the knobs do stuff and change the signal/sound, i get that. that part i can study and experiment. but i'm turning this thing on and wondering where to START with getting the sounds.

can this be a stand-alone unit? i don't even have a computer currently i'm just plugging in headphones straight into it. eventually i'm going to get a computer but for now ................a little guidance would be MUCH appreciated.

thank you in advance!

hieronymous

Re: COMPLETELY new to moog (i got a sub 25)

Post by hieronymous » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:34 pm

Congrats and welcome to the world of Moog! Did you get it new or second-hand? I think you should definitely go to the Moog website and download the manual and start-up guide (I hope I'm pointing you to the right thing, I had an early Little Phatty but the line has developed a lot since then):

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/subsequent-25

I found a review/tutorial online (from loopop, he makes some great videos) too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCqDxZQd2A

Best of luck to you - if you are brand new it can be quite arcane, but hopefully your journey into analog synthesis will be fulfilling and fun!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:13 am

Hi, welcome and congrats!

Definitely go through the manual: Moog manuals are always didactic and you should learn about synthesis as well as about the synth itself.
Then, experiment and try to see what knob does what to the sound. Starts with the oscillators and mixer sections, move to the fitler and the volume/amplitude envelope. After that, you'll start to have an intuition of things ongoing in there :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlakeMoody

Post by BlakeMoody » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:24 pm

my friends, THANK YOU. I REALLY appreciate it

i'm going to dig in. thanks for your help Stiiiiiive and hieronymous - great names too lol