Subharmonicon Sub Osc Peculiarity?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
shinhito

Subharmonicon Sub Osc Peculiarity?

Post by shinhito » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:53 pm

I've had my Subharmonicon for about a month now and I absolutely love it! I couldn't have asked for a better first Moog synth to add to my collection.

As I've been playing around with it and exploring it, I discovered a weird peculiarity in regards to the Sub Oscillators and I don't know if it's the intended functionality or if I'm experiencing a bug? I have some audio knowledge but this has stumped me.

Now I know the sub oscillators are divisions of the main VCO's frequency but I've found a strange almost phase-cancellation sometimes happens if both sub-oscillators are set to the same frequency division, but only about half the time? It can happen when the VCO is set to either a square or sawtooth wave. The best way I can describe what happens with the square/sawtooth-wave it almost sounds like a rectangle wave when it's set to very high/low PWM?

I managed to record an audio clip of it happening here: https://soundcloud.com/shinhito/subharm ... jM9oXDXsRV
In this clip it is just VCO1 with only the Sub 1 & 2 Levels up and VCO1 muted. At the beginning of the recording the Sub 1 & 2 Freq knobs are set at the 2nd highest division and you can hear the weird cancellation I've been describing. The rest of the audio clip I'm just adjusting the Sub1 Freq knob down and up. There are no patch cables and the VCO1 switch is set up to Square-wave only. I only recorded with VCO1's sub oscillators, but it also happens with the VCO2 section.

Anyway, I don't particularly mind it if this is the intended way it's supposed to work, but I just found it odd that it only happened some of the time? If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it!

paddy ryan

Re: Subharmonicon Sub Osc Peculiarity?

Post by paddy ryan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 pm

that just sounds like phase cancellation, which becomes more evident in low frequencies. That's normal for un-synced oscillators...as they drift in and out of phase with each other.

Detuning slightly should help