Grandmother Decay Time Bad Scaling

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
brainray

Grandmother Decay Time Bad Scaling

Post by brainray » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:23 pm

I find that the decay time is very jumpy in the lower settings. It's hard to get small decay amount. Only a tiny movement creates a jump in day time. Please see the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6_1p0cfG8

Is this the case for others as well?

bichuelo

Re: Grandmother Decay Time Bad Scaling

Post by bichuelo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:46 pm

Mine behaves in a similar way, but I don't consider this a malfunction

One thing that might be confusing is that past 12 o'clock there doesn't seem to be any change, at least when you have an arpeggiator running. The thing here is, there is no way to set the gate length on the Grandmother's arpeggiator (whereas you can on the Matriarch) If the gate length is shorter than the decay time, then the decay knob won't make any change after certain treshold

If you use a software or any external arpeggiator or sequencer where you can set the length of each note, you might be able to play with the Decay knob with it's full range
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

brainray

Post by brainray » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:13 am

Thanks for your reply bichuelo - sorry that I'm so late to the party ;-)

Unfortunately even sending very short gate times with the DAW to the GM doesn't change the behaviour. I really wonder why this could be the default behaviour. For me this is just faulty. I'll contact Moof support.

brainray

Post by brainray » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:02 pm

I got response from Moog: this behaviour is intended - The pots used to control the envelope are logarithmic pots and will therefore have an exponential response as you move the pot through its full range.

Okay, I guess a matter of taste - at least my baby seems to be healthy :-)

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Glad to know!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

dct

Post by dct » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 am

Can confirm is normal GM behaviour.
You can get very divers ARP EG profiles playing around with VCA MODE setting, as well as patching -ENV > VCA AMT IN (will invert the EG profile).
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY