SUB 37 STICKY MOD / PITCH WHEEL

Everything Sub.
bomarm

SUB 37 STICKY MOD / PITCH WHEEL

Post by bomarm » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Ive owned my Sub 37 for many years and loved it a great deal. In the last month or so the Mod Wheel and the Pitch Wheel have become very sticky. It feels as though the plastic is melting for the lack of a better description. Ive noticed this happening to a few of my others synths. I won't mention the others synths since this is about the Sub 37. I would understand (sorta) if this was happening to a "budget" synth but not to a Moog!?

Anyone else experiencing this? If so, what did you do to resolve the issue??

IgorCristo

Re: SUB 37 STICKY MOD / PITCH WHEEL

Post by IgorCristo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:09 am

This is a known problem with all modern Moog synthesizers. It happened since the Little Phatty.

I had both a Sub Phatty and Little Phatty with this, and rubbing some alcohol on it removed the sticky layer of rubber, leaving a less refined touch plastic below it. It’s not the way to make it new again, but it’s definitely better than the sticky plastic.
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

bomarm

Re: SUB 37 STICKY MOD / PITCH WHEEL

Post by bomarm » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 pm

It seems to be an issue with many different synths I own. I suppose they are/were using the same material. I have a Arturia Minibrute and all the knobs/sliders, mod/pitch wheel have turned into a sticky mess. Its bothersome. I have had it happen to my Propher 12 mod/pitch wheel and thats a $3,000 synth!

It's really disappointing to invest so much into an expensive piece of gear that you plan to enjoy for years to come and then you have this happen. Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant and replying. I will give the rubbing alcohol a try. I did use it a bit but perhaps I need to use more to really make it go away.

Cheers!