Firmware 1.3 released

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Iaamusic

Firmware 1.3 released

Post by Iaamusic » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:40 pm

...and it’s big positive release. Lots of modulation/sequencer enhancements.....it’s certainly getting there....

till

Re: Firmware 1.3 released

Post by till » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Yeah, nice Mod Matrix addition. A slew rate (bipolar, and positiv or negative only) are welcome new features.

And this made myself most happy:
KNOWN ISSUES & CONTINUED IMPROVEMENTS
Further improvements to tuning intonation are well underway and nearing the testing stage.
A user-facing calibration and tuning menu is being tested and is planned for release in one of the next few updates. Improvements to filter keyboard tracking are also in process.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:41 am

filter keyboard tracking
This would be great I agree.

MWK

Post by MWK » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:58 am

There is still a nasty bug with WAVE ANGLE when it is being modulated. Modulating WAVE ANGLE (TRI or SAW) with a positive value results in a negative output and vice versa. It's driving me crazy.

Test this.

INIT PATCH
1) Turn WAVE ANGLE all the way to the left (-100%) when in TRI mode
2) Now set MODWHEEL destination to WAVE ANGLE and modulate by turning the potentiometer all the way to the right (+100%), confirm modulation.
3) Now, if you move the MODWHEEL up, nothing will happen.

Why doesn't it work? Well, that's because they messed up the polarity of the modulation somewhere. The modulatino of +100% is actually behaving like -100%. I liken this issue to be like getting a 2' or 4' octave when you're selecting 32' or 16'—it's completely BACKWARDS!

This sort of bug makes me wonder what other little obvious coding errors there are in the unit. With a synthesizer of this complexity, whoever is coding this thing needs to be a master in LOGIC. We can't have 1+1=0 if this synthesizer is to be solidly programmed.

I welcome the new features and expansions, but it drives me crazy to think that the most expensive synthesizer I've ever purchased is taking a bug like this lightly. I've reported it multiple times and each firmware they release it's still there. This is fundamental. Solid logic should be the core foundation of this thing, not more presets and features that make it even more unstable.

till

Post by till » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:27 pm

MWK wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:58 am...
I've reported it multiple times and each firmware they release it's still there.
I second you about this.
The keyboard range is still displayed as grey background one octave to low. So you can't see where split point are about to be, until you know about this bug known to Moog Music for more than 10 months.

To test this:
go to HOME screen. Now change the lowest and highest note of one synth to the lowest and highest key of the non transposed keyboard: It is displayed one octave to the right.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:13 pm

MWK wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:58 am There is still a nasty bug with WAVE ANGLE when it is being modulated. Modulating WAVE ANGLE (TRI or SAW) with a positive value results in a negative output and vice versa. It's driving me crazy.

Test this.

INIT PATCH
1) Turn WAVE ANGLE all the way to the left (-100%) when in TRI mode
2) Now set MODWHEEL destination to WAVE ANGLE and modulate by turning the potentiometer all the way to the right (+100%), confirm modulation.
3) Now, if you move the MODWHEEL up, nothing will happen.

Why doesn't it work? Well, that's because they messed up the polarity of the modulation somewhere. The modulatino of +100% is actually behaving like -100%. I liken this issue to be like getting a 2' or 4' octave when you're selecting 32' or 16'—it's completely BACKWARDS!

This sort of bug makes me wonder what other little obvious coding errors there are in the unit. With a synthesizer of this complexity, whoever is coding this thing needs to be a master in LOGIC. We can't have 1+1=0 if this synthesizer is to be solidly programmed.

I welcome the new features and expansions, but it drives me crazy to think that the most expensive synthesizer I've ever purchased is taking a bug like this lightly. I've reported it multiple times and each firmware they release it's still there. This is fundamental. Solid logic should be the core foundation of this thing, not more presets and features that make it even more unstable.
Have you noticed any other instances in the firmware where the polarity of a controller seems to be reversed, or just this instance?
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

MWK

Post by MWK » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm

I didn't notice any other instances since it's not super easy to notice more complex modulations. The fact that WAVE ANGLE is a parameter on the main panel makes it more noticeable when it isn't working properly. But I think it'll be difficult to spot any modulations that are not as simple. The deeper you go with functionality, the more difficult it will be to spot polarity issues.

My guess is most people aren't noticing the WAVE ANGLE bug because when used with an LFO, the LFO is normally in 'bipolar' mode, effectively hiding the reverse polarity issue of the bug. You only notice it with LFO when you set the LFO to 'unipolar'. That's why I'm trying to show the bug with more direct modulation sources like MODWHEEL.

I think the latest updates to the expression engine have made the Moog One a lot more stable (in my experience) but I see this bug as a small fracture in the integrity of the Moog One. A polarity issue can exponentially affect issues further down the chain. It is very important I think to find these little bugs and sort them out as quickly as possible. I'm confident Moog is going to fix these and make the Moog One extremely solid.

I will keep reporting what I find no matter how seemingly small.

So to be clear, WAVE ANGLE in TRI and SAW mode has this polarity issue in the modulation matrix.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Yeah, I totally understand your frustration.
Sometimes though, these things don't get corrected once the firmware is released for a while because there is already a growing group of presets that may be adversely affected by changing these parameters.
I've seen it happen before on other products. Haven't liked it then either. :|

Now, I'm not saying that that's the case here, but it's probably worth considering it as a possibility.
Fortunately, once you understand the problem, there are simple work arounds available.

So, on a happier note, have you had a chance to dig into the new features?
Since I'm now "sheltered in place", I've really been having fun with exploring the new options that are made available. For me, this is moving into much higher territory, sort of like a super modular system. Polyphonic, no less!
The VARS in particular; lots of interesting programming options are opened up!
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

MWK

Post by MWK » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 am

My assumption was that it was a simple fix. I should avoid assuming... but I'm glad Moog is listening.

On the flip side, the new features and overall stability of the Moog One in firmware 1.3 are actually really good. I'm now able to have successful sessions with the Moog One, whereas in the previous firmware updates, I was being halted by issues. The sequencer is now very usable and stable (although I haven't tested it with MIDI yet but I hear those updates are coming soon).

All that to say that if you were thinking about buying a Moog One, I say it's solid enough to do so now. It's overall less glitchy! And it gives me the confidence that they are really taming this thing.

It's the best synthesizer ever made of course...there's no doubt about that! ...and it's only getting better.

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:10 pm

sort of like a super modular system. Polyphonic, no less!
This is why I went for the One to start, I wanted analogue poly with huge mod potential. I think they are getting So close. I had a few wobbles earlier last year, but my faith in them as a core engineering driven company seems well founded.

till

Post by till » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 pm

Just had this email e few hours ago:
Moog One Firmware Update v1.3.1
A new Moog One firmware update is now available for download. Firmware v1.3.1 includes the following developments:

Fixes bug that could cause effect presets to not be recalled correctly.
Fixes bug with synced looped envelopes that could cause voices to become silent.
Fixes bug with very long envelope times behaving erratically.

Sequence:

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:41 pm

Yes, just installed.

I can find out some positive differences in the effect section :D
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X