Voyager xl + RMEx3

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
bdr

Voyager xl + RMEx3

Post by bdr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:07 pm

Hello all,
I am new to this world so please forgive my green questions.
I have a voyager xl and 3 Voyager RME. I am going to midi connect them for quadraphony. I plan to send the R/L out from the xl to an analog mixer stereo and send the mixers mono out (no stereo out option) to an audio interface. For each RME I was going to do the same so mixer inputs 1-4 will be the quad. I also have two minitaurs I am going to midi control from the xl and will send their audio out to the mixer inputs 5 and 6. I have 6 aux outputs in my mixer as well.
Will I need 4 of each individual moogerfooger to equally distribute their respective effects to this polychain or can I patch them in a way that all/none/some of these 6 synths can get exposed to the moogerfooger effects?
Thanks!

Vsyevolod

Re: Voyager xl + RMEx3

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 am

Send the mix of all your sound sources through an aux send to your Foogers. This is the most efficient way to use them.

Stephen

bdr

Post by bdr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Perfection. All voyagers and moogerfoogers working great together. Thanks!

I have a slim phatty I'm going to use as well because I love its sound. Would you use the xl to midi control the slim, use the slim's interface or would it be easiest to just use a little phatty? I know the voyager/phatties sound different so not sure how it would sound with voyager quadraphony combined with the xl midi controlling the slim.

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:58 pm

bdr wrote:Hello all,
I am new to this world so please forgive my green questions.
I have a voyager xl and 3 Voyager RME. I am going to midi connect them for quadraphony. I plan to send the R/L out from the xl to an analog mixer stereo and send the mixers mono out (no stereo out option) to an audio interface. For each RME I was going to do the same so mixer inputs 1-4 will be the quad. I also have two minitaurs I am going to midi control from the xl and will send their audio out to the mixer inputs 5 and 6. I have 6 aux outputs in my mixer as well.
Will I need 4 of each individual moogerfooger to equally distribute their respective effects to this polychain or can I patch them in a way that all/none/some of these 6 synths can get exposed to the moogerfooger effects?
Thanks!
Can you show us all a video or audio demo of the Voyager Four Voice?
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

uxumuxo

Post by uxumuxo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:24 pm

Resurrecting this thread, because I've been working on something similar.

The best hack I've found is to run all the Voyagers through a line mixer, output that group to whatever FX I want, and pump that through an amp. Getting levels right is tricky. It's a studio setup for sure, and a finicky one at that.

In my case, I've been collecting Voyagers and am up to five. I have them all happily working for the first time since embarking on this journey (thanks to the folks at Moog, who have helped with repairs on 4 of the 5 over the past year or so as I've figured out what wasn't quite right across the lot).

For those who are interested, I have a video of the basic setup working, but I need to figure out a proper way to post it (I'd prefer *not* Youtube). The setup is currently:
- Sub37CV as controller
- RME pitch 1/5
- XL (standard) pitch 2/5
- XL (white) pitch 3/5
- Aluminum pitch 4/5
- Select pitch 5/5

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:48 pm

wow that sounds pretty cool!!

you could try Vimeo? or Instagram?

or via Google drive maybe

also curious what you needed to repair, to get them all working together?

thx!

uxumuxo

Post by uxumuxo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Turns out I had a Vimeo account from like 8 years ago.

It's not a lengthy or terribly interesting video, but here's the setup:
https://vimeo.com/396804466

All but one of my Voyagers have suffered some sort of Analog 404 board failure. The issue that was most frustrating was the ultra-slow attack (~30seconds+). Also the white XL had an issue where the mod wheel would always send at 100%. The folks at Moog were really great in helping to get everything back up and running.

As others have noted, polychaining them is pretty straightforward (setting MIDI key order total number of keys, then putting the Voyagers in "order"); however, it's really best to have another instrument controlling them if you're just looking to send pitch data, as you don't have to be super fancy with sending MIDI data back to the source Voyager. I haven't tried hooking them up to the One yet, mostly because the One is heavy and I mostly have 5' MIDI cables which don't reach to the One. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 pm

wow, what a setup!!

sounds great!!

thx for posting