Matriarch delay time

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
OlleOlle

Matriarch delay time

Post by OlleOlle » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:55 pm

It says in the manual that it goes from 35ms to 780ms but I would say it goes from something like 1ms to 200ms. It's possible though to get longer delays with tapping and/or syncing.

Is there a global setting? I can't find anything about it in the manual.

scottr

Re: Matriarch delay time

Post by scottr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:46 pm

I have / had this issue on my Matriarch as well, spoke with Moog a few times, what I found on mine is that the spacing knob affects the delay time. Turn the time knob fully clockwise, start with the spacing knob fully counter clockwise and then turn it. On my synth the delay time gets longer the further clockwise I turn the spacing knob, I wonder if this is true for other owners and if it's the design of the delay?

OlleOlle

Post by OlleOlle » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:53 pm

If I understand you correctly mine is the same, but thats also how it should be (I think).
Also my ping pong is weird. Instead of L/R its center/L (or something like that). I've reached out to Moog but no reply. How is your ping pong delay?

OlleOlle

Post by OlleOlle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Just understood this now after reading GS. It has two independent ping pong delays. To get a "standard" ping pong, put a dummy cable in on of the inputs.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:25 am

Here's my post from Gearslutz:

A clarification of the Matriarch's PING PONG Delay:

I consider true Stereo Ping Pong behavior to be:

Send a single, short audio blip into a monaural in of a delay.

Realtime blip is centered (both Left and Right Outs)

First delayed blip is Left Out only (XXXms later)

Next delayed blip is Right Out only (2x XXXms later)

Next delayed blip is Left Out only (3x XXXms later)

Next delayed blip is Right Out only (4x XXXms later)

etc...

Where things got confused (in a very fortuitous way) is that there are actually two independent analog delays. And each one of those two Matriarch delays is capable of creating its own, independent Stereo Ping Pong Delay.

Solution: If you want Stereo Ping Pong, you NEED to NOT feed both INPUT 1 and INPUT 2 with the same audio, or the two simultaneous Ping Pongs will result in something that's not the Ping Pong you want.

Simply put a dummy cable (other end not used) into either INPUT 1 or INPUT 2 so that only one of the delays is getting the output of the MIXER.

Now you'll get PING PONG:-)

The really cool part about that is that you now have another, independent analog delay that can also do true stereo Ping Pong.

I explain and demonstrate this in detail at 8:53 of this video:

https://youtu.be/X-XancYyXY0?t=538

{TIP: If you have a Grandmother and a Matriarch, you can use one Ping Pong Delay for GM and one for M!}
https://youtu.be/X-XancYyXY0?t=382
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

OlleOlle

Post by OlleOlle » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Yes, I saw your post. Makes sense now. I wish it had been in the manual. :wink: