Noise issue, is this normal?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
mattculpin

Noise issue, is this normal?

Post by mattculpin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:32 pm

Yesterday I was able to play with another Moog One since I took delivery of mine in March. This was at SynthFest in the UK. I got to play with a 16 voice (mine is an 8 voice).

The first thing I noticed is just how noise-free the 16 voice was compared to my own synth.

The company I purchased from in the UK suggested taking it back to them, but before I make the 200 miles round trip I thought I'd sense check with the community.

Here's a video of my issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8widhqolu9y2 ... 7mwHa?dl=0

I have a bunch of other poly/mono synths but all are really quiet. I have the UA Apollo 8 interface and I'm using balanced TRS jacks.

Any feedback appreciated. Cheers

audiosampling

Re: Noise issue, is this normal?

Post by audiosampling » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:39 am

I don't have that issue, but it seems you only hear it because of the massive gain you are applying. This sounds more like an interference issue, than noise. So before taking it back, I'd check if 1/ your mains are fitted with a ground, as advised in the owner's manual 2/ if you are using balanced audio cables.

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:00 am

Do you use network adapters over your circuit? I know this sound.
I think, it is not caused by the moog.
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

mattculpin

Post by mattculpin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 am

audiosampling wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:39 am I don't have that issue, but it seems you only hear it because of the massive gain you are applying. This sounds more like an interference issue, than noise. So before taking it back, I'd check if 1/ your mains are fitted with a ground, as advised in the owner's manual 2/ if you are using balanced audio cables.
I have a bunch of other synths, OB-6, Pro-2, Sub-37, etc. All electrics are fine and I'm using balanced cables which again are fine from all other synths.

mattculpin

Post by mattculpin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:31 am

noisebit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:00 am Do you use network adapters over your circuit? I know this sound.
I think, it is not caused by the moog.
Network adaptors? Nope nothing like that.

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:03 am

Now I have the same result, when I use the internal effects. So, it is caused by the Moog :cry:
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:42 pm

What position is your master volume, anything post 1 o’clock tends to exhibit noise

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 pm

There have been a couple of noise threads - here's one, and I reference another within:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32716

It appears that perhaps the maximum clean volume is at about the 1:00 position. Where is your volume set?

(Disclaimer: the only new Moog I have is the Sirin, whose manual also states that "The VCOs begin to clip the filter at about 2 o’clock creating more agressive sounds.")

4dubs

Post by 4dubs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:34 pm

I have an 8 voice. Can anyone confirm if their instrument behaves in this manner?

INIT a patch (shift + compare)

Turn the VCA level control of synth 1 to zero.

Gradually increase the master volume. As it gets beyond about the 2 o'clock position, audible noise is introduced. By the time master volume is at full, the noise level is pretty ridiculous. Turning up the VCA level only increases the noise.

Anyone experiencing the same? If this was an intentional design on Moog's part, I can't understand what the reason behind it would be. There doesn't seem to be any way to gain stage a patch to avoid this seeing as the noise exists even with VCA levels and OSC levels at zero.
Moog: Model D, Voyager, Sub 37, ONE 8V, Minifooger Delay (x2)/DSI: Prophet 6, Pro 2, Prophet REV2 16V/Nord Stage 2 SW73/Studiologic Sledge 2.0 Black/Waldorf Iridium desktop/Arturia Matrixbrute/Behringer Mono/Poly, 2600/Mellotron Micro/Modal Cobalt 8x

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Yes that’s what I was discussing in the other thread. it’s normal according to Moog.

rcrowthe

Post by rcrowthe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:15 am

Yes, I have the same issue as OP. I just keep the volume around noon and was thinking this was normal since so many people wrote about it but I cant see how it would be useful to have that noise

YM2612

Post by YM2612 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 am

I was about to come here to make the exact same thread. I will give a more detailed reply later. One thing to consider is however the signal to noise ratio. The SNR is fine to me on the mainouts on my unit. The best position for me is 60%

However, meanwhile check out the noise of my sub outs :shock: And nope, that's nothing from outside. I disconnected everything else, the powerlines are clean and no other unit behaves like this.
Screenshot 01.jpg

mattculpin

Post by mattculpin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:18 am

My 8 Voice has now gone to HHB in the UK to be looked at. I sent a video (above) to Source Distribution service team and they seemed to confirm this isn't normal.

Having heard the 16 Voice at SynthFest there's no way this is a normal feature that Moog seem to suggest. How could a 16 voice be much less noisy than my 8 voice Moog One, doesn't make sense.

Anyway, hopefully, I'll get a fixed Moog One back soon.

mattculpin

Post by mattculpin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:20 am

Iaamusic wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:42 pm What position is your master volume, anything post 1 o’clock tends to exhibit noise
I would accept that, only I heard a 16 voice which was pretty much silent and clean even pushed all the way up to max volume.

mattculpin

Post by mattculpin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:21 am

4dubs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:34 pm I have an 8 voice. Can anyone confirm if their instrument behaves in this manner?

INIT a patch (shift + compare)

Turn the VCA level control of synth 1 to zero.

Gradually increase the master volume. As it gets beyond about the 2 o'clock position, audible noise is introduced. By the time master volume is at full, the noise level is pretty ridiculous. Turning up the VCA level only increases the noise.

Anyone experiencing the same? If this was an intentional design on Moog's part, I can't understand what the reason behind it would be. There doesn't seem to be any way to gain stage a patch to avoid this seeing as the noise exists even with VCA levels and OSC levels at zero.
It's not normal, I've now heard a couple of other Moog One's and they don't have this issue.