Minimoog Voyager Clicks and Pops

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
antwann

Minimoog Voyager Clicks and Pops

Post by antwann » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi,

When holding a note for more than 1 second on certain patches, my Minimoog Voyager makes random popping/clicking noises that can be heard in the background, for example, when playing 003 Brassy Lead (Bank 4/5 - Zon Vern Pyles Contribution). Is this normal?

Thanks

Analog Prophet

Re: Minimoog Voyager Clicks and Pops

Post by Analog Prophet » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:04 pm

No, its not supposed to click and pop. Do you listen direct from the output or through a computer?

antwann

Post by antwann » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi Analog Prophet,

Yes, I can hear it using both headphones and the main outputs. It normally happens holding notes with patches that have a short release time on the volume envelope (less than 70). I've found out that if this time is increased the faint pops/clicks are reduced.

Regards

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 pm

That’s not normal behavior. If you don't latest firmware try to update it. If that doesn’t make the trick contact Moog support, I’m sure they can tell you what it is and how to get it fixed.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Does it do the same thing through headphones?
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

antwann

Post by antwann » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi,

It has the latest firmware installed - V3.5. I know there is a further version but I would rather not install that one as it is still in Beta stage.

Yes, it does it through the headphones as well. When playing a patch and holding it, sounds like there is a layer of white noise in the background with some pops every now and then.

Regards

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:39 am

Unless you’re willing and capable of troubleshooting with a scope best thing you can do at this point is to try to further isolate/identify the conditions that cause this problem (in addition to the long release time you mentioned). Is it with only a particular oscillator by itself? How about the different filter configurations, poles etc with different cutoff and resonance settings? Maybe something in the mixer? I suggest eliminating any modulations, pot mapping, external inputs, midi etc. in order to simplify where the problem may lie. This is all good info to include in the ticket if you send it in for repair. Based on when you first posted it appears no one here has had a similar condition.

Good luck - I’ll be interested to learn what you find out.

till

Post by till » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am

antwann wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:50 pm...t has the latest firmware installed - V3.5. I know there is a further version but I would rather not install that one as it is still in Beta stage.
It is in "beta" for nearly 8 years now. In fact it is working all fine here. Moog did not officially released it, as the Voyager software were never done by a Moog employee: Rudi Linhard from Germany did this all the years.
And as the Voyager is off production, Moog is most likely not putting money into releasing a new version.

There are several 3.6 versions available. Be sure to get the latest version. Mine is from 2017.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:48 am

Well I stand corrected (by me).

Take a look at this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=677