Minimoog Voyager PE - Envelope 'Attack' problem

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
bellealliance

Minimoog Voyager PE - Envelope 'Attack' problem

Post by bellealliance » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:49 am

After several years faultless operation, switched on my Voyager this week and some presets are now taking 30+ seconds to reach their correct initial volume level upon press and hold of any key. Other presets take several seconds and some just a couple of seconds. If the key is then released and any subsequent key played, the same happens.

However, if the first key played is kept held down until the preset reaches its correct volume level and then a second, third etc key is played (whilst still holding down the first key), the preset plays at its correct volume immediately.

Strangely and confusingly however, some presets play at their correct volume immediately on pressing first and all subsequent keys. The fault seems to have applied itself randomly across the presets/banks.

One consistent factor is that adjustments made to the ‘Attack’ pots on Volume and Filter Envelopes have no effect on any presets in any of the circumstances outlined above, despite the screen showing value adjustments as normal. Oscillators, filter and all else seem to operate as they should.

All points me to the analogue board IC problem, long-since acknowledged by Moog and including the issue of ‘envelopes triggering incorrectly’ affecting some mid-2010 – January 2013 manufactured Voyagers, discussed previously on this forum. Mine was purchased in 2011.

Before I conclude the IC problem as the most likely cause, does anyone have similar experience or any other thoughts/pointers? All gratefully received by me as a first-timer here.
Last edited by bellealliance on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Markyboard

Re: Minimoog Voyager PE - Envelope 'Attack' problem

Post by Markyboard » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:14 am

You may very well be correct about the infamous MUX/DMUX being the source of the problem. I would check a couple of things that may explain differences from one patch to the next:

1) Everything in Local On with no midi control
2) Pot Mappings - set them all to 0% or ensure none of them are routed to any Envelope parameters.
3) I assume your Envelope gate switch is off but confirm

bellealliance

Post by bellealliance » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks Markyboard, pointers appreciated.

1) Confirmed everything is 'Local On' with no midi control. Also, the Voyager is not connected to any external equipment
2) None is routed to any envelope parameters
3) ‘Env. Gate’ switch is in 'Keyboard' position

Any further suggestions welcome though to note I’ve now discovered the serial no. of my Voyager PE is within the range of those potentially affected by the faulty ICs on the analogue board so I guess I’m headed to [email protected] for advice on the best way forward. Obviously the unit is well outside of warranty so cost may be problematical for me as funds are rather limited.
Last edited by bellealliance on Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Voyager XL here, serial # is not in the range of affected units, but it's had its analog board repaired once already (for a faulty Pedal/On mod bus). Now it's the VCF Sustain portion of the envelope (and possibly decay but can't tell because no sustain). Got a quote for $45 / half-hour of repair tech time + return shipping, so not exactly a cheap repair. Given that I own a Sub 37 and quite a few other analog & digital synths, and this being only the second time I've ever had to get one repaired (both times now with this XL), I'm not exactly happy with the reliability. Seriously considering getting the repair done and then just selling it - not worth the aggravation and hassle of having to wonder if / when the next failure will occur, but it is the synth I go to when I want to just noodle.

gahmbrant

Post by gahmbrant » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:29 pm

Hi Bellealliance, I understand it's been two years since you shared this problem and I'm wondering if you ever figured out the exact problem. I turned on my Voyager today to find it with the exact symptoms as yours, with the volume attack being seemingly random with each preset and the attack knobs seemingly doing nothing. Did your issue end up being the IC problem? Did you have to get the synth serviced by Moog? I hope you read this, I'm devastated, as I only got the Voyager repaired about a year ago. Be well.

bellealliance

Post by bellealliance » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:55 am

Hi there gahmbrant, pleased to report that Moog were extremely helpful in working with me to ascertain the problem and then getting it sorted.
The problem was as suspected - failure of the analogue board due to faulty chips installed at the point of manufacture. Moog USA requested a short video of me demonstrating the problem and diagnosed a faulty board. They agreed to replace the board free of charge with the option to return the board to them (at my expense), they would then send me (at their expense) a replacement for me to fit. The other option was to return the Voyager to the UK Service Agent for the work to be done, again supplying a free of charge analogue board albeit with a small labour charge of approx £70 UK pounds. I chose the latter option as calibration and re-tune was required/recommended after fitting the new board and I preferred to leave this to the service agent. .
So, all was well in the end. I take my hat off to Moog for standing by their product some 8 years after original purchase and for being helpful at every stage. Also to the excellent service provided by Source Distribution UK/HHB in North London on the day of repair.