Moog the Source cv in

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
markcowell23

Moog the Source cv in

Post by markcowell23 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:20 am

Hello!

I have a Moog the Source which I love for its sound (and looks!) As far as I know I have the latest version of the Source (the back panel has black overlays with keyboard cv in/out, DIN sync in and S-trig in, S-trig out).

Now I want to add an Elektron Analog Keys to my setup. One of the great things of the Analog Keys is that it has a dedicated cv sequencer track. The back panel of the Analog Keys has a combined cv and gate jack to connect the Elektron to other gear. The manual says that you can use a standard insert (Y) cable for this purpose. The stereo plug goes into the Analog Keys. The other end of the cable (the two mono jacks) go to the cv and gate jacks on your other gear.

Am I correct in saying that I have to connect these two mono jacks to the Keyboard cv in/out jack and the S-trig in jack on the Source?

I read the Source manual of course, but I am not a technical person...so the part about interfacing and soldering cables was not really clear for me.

The Source has a combined jack for Keyboard cv in and out, so I wonder if everything will work when I connect it to one of the mono jacks of the insert cable.

If there is anyone here who has a Source and knows about setting up the cv/gate connections I would be very happy if you shared some information with me.

Many thanks and best regards,

Pieter

till

Re: Moog the Source cv in

Post by till » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:23 am

First of all: I don't thing the Elektron Analog Keys gives you S-trig out. Most synths, and all released in the last years I can think of use a positive voltage for gat/trigger. The old vintage Moog ones need to get a shorting to start the envelopes. So you need a converter for this. synthesizers.com are one source of them.

You need a TRS jack on the Source side for the CV in/out. I don't know if the ring or the tip is the CV in. On the Elektron Analog Keys CV out you need a TS jack.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Jme Nwmn

Post by Jme Nwmn » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:49 am

Good Day,

I recently purchased a used Source as is. Got it home plugged it in, it powered up but no sound.....then I took it apart and realized that somebody had been tinkering around inside and put some of the four pin connections backwards (Just reversed a few of the connections). The source is working now perfectly on every parameter but it's just the keyboard itself only has about 12 keys that actually work on it. This topic looked closest to people that might know where to start when troubleshooting this issue.
I'm new here And I'd be grateful for any help or information.

Thank you.

till

Post by till » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:28 am

The Source keybed is working by the voltage divider scheme. So no diode matrix, but real CV. If you have problems with the keys, check the voltage it gives by playing one key at a time on different keys. Maybe just a bad contact?

Do this on your own risk. And please only, if you are experienced and trained to do this without harm yourself. Better let some trained person do it for you.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Jme Nwmn

Post by Jme Nwmn » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:13 pm

Okay I see, This is certainly very useful advice!
Thank you kindly.

-JmeNwmn